Tuesday, July 7, 2020

It's The Thought That Counts


I don't think I'm necessarily a bad gift giver. Some people are just hard to buy for. And by "some people," I mean my hubby.

It's taken quite a few trips around the sun with him, but I'm finally getting the hang of it. I always had the best of intentions, though. Like that baseball jersey with a "C" on it that I thought was for the Cincinnati Reds, but was for some team called the Cubs?? (In my defense, that was a long time ago and I'm strictly an American League girl.) And then there were the countless VHS videos and DVDs of his favorite movies or TV shows that stayed in their cellophane wrap until I gifted them at a white elephant exchange a decade later.

I've learned he does like a good sports non-fiction book and a decent golf polo or special gear from either his Reds (not the Cubs), the Celtics, or his alma mater UW-Whitewater. I, on the other hand, deter him from buying most clothes for me since the great-fitting size medium uni-sex shirt that fits me might equate to an XL in women's sizes because they are a constant inconsistent mess.

I was excited for Christmas last year because I got him a Carhartt coat that he picked out. Unfortunately, the zipper was messed up so we returned it and I still have the rain check for its replacement. Trust me, I was stopping in weekly to check during the winter but the lovely Fleet Farm gal shooed me away – assuring me they'd call when it was in stock again. I wonder if they have them now that it's the hottest week of the year.

My other gift required early planning. Even though the Ryder Cup is scheduled for this fall in Wisconsin, I had to register last fall to be in the lottery for purchasing tickets to this popular international event. Yes, I had to apply to get a chance to buy the tickets, but the purchasing was a whole different process. I was thrilled to get approved and they sent me a link to when the "ticket window" would open. And then I had to wait in a "virtual line" for nearly an hour, praying not to lose Internet connection on my phone, and by the time it was my turn to purchase, they had no more tickets to competition days – just practice days. Still, I took them! Especially knowing they allow cameras and possibly autographs during the practice rounds.

Fast forward to the 2020 sh*t show and you know what happens next. They just announced today they're postponing the 2020 Ryder Cup to 2021. At least they're still going to do it instead of running with it this year and not allowing fans – especially after all that hard work to get tickets.

Mr. Austin, though, basically got squat for Christmas last year. Can I say it's the thought that counts? Probably not.

Good thing, I was nice to him for Father's Day, our anniversary, and his birthday. I think I still owe him a few rounds of golf, though, for "Christmas in July." I'll get the hang of this one of these years.

No comments: