We took a long weekend to go see our boy Carter and his girlfriend Mamie in Duluth. They've only been there a few months and hubby has never been there so I took the opportunity to share some of my favorite North Shore places and discover a few new ones!
Since the "kids" were working on Friday we set a tee time to golf somewhere in Duluth.
Grand View had some decent far away views and it was a shorter course than we usually play so obviously, that means I had a better score than normal!
Thus my smile here. And hubby should have had a much bigger smile after chipping in for some birdies!
As we drove from there to our hotel, we just happened to see Mamie's workplace. She works at Maurices headquarters, which we all admitted a few months ago had no idea that was in Duluth!
Our home for the weekend was Canal Park Lodge – obviously located right in Canal Park for those of you who know.
This was my anniversary gift to hubby so I wanted a great experience for his first time up there. I got a king suite with a balcony that faced the lake! You might be surprised how many places are boasting a city view. If you book up there, pay attention!
So from our balcony we had a great view of the lake they call "Gitchee Gumee" and the boardwalk the runs clear from here down to the lighthouse and the infamous lift bridge.
And plenty of view so various watercraft. Though most were too far away to focus unless we hustled down the boardwalk a half mile or so. Which we did not.
This is the one side of the lodge that faces the water directly. We were on the third floor.
Jim and I ventured down to the water and realized the whole shoreline was rocks – and a lot of flat rocks great for skipping. Which is why we saw parents and kids by the dozen line up on shore this weekend while their kids "learned" to skip rocks. Jim was brave and took off his shoes and waded in just to experience the "refreshing" Lake Superior temperature. But the rocks were a bit much! Ouch.
Friday evening when the kids were done with work, they suggested we meet at Bridgeman's restaurant. A great diner with super huge proportions... and ice cream!!
I had their Peppermint Bon Bon for dessert even though I didn't have room for it!
But who can resist LARGE ice cream sizes? Not me!
This is their food truck outside the restaurant. I imagine it's wildly popular!
After dinner, the kids (I am sure that they hate that I call them that) walked the short distance from their apartment to our hotel patio. It was a great setting with plenty of tables and a fire pit for those who wanted it.
That's when it was revealed they stayed behind at Bridgeman's and got us some extra birthday gifts. I saw this hat and loved it! And they paid attention! 💓
On Saturday I had a North Shore agenda but the first stop was seeing their apartment. We loved it! A nice, spacious 2-bedroom with much more space than we've seen in previous dwellings.
Updated appliances and everything we'd want for them. But how unfair they get a dishwasher and I had wait until a good decade past that?? Ha.
After that, I said, let's head to the North Shore. If you don't know where it is in relation to Duluth, just follow the signs!
My first destination was Gooseberry Falls State Park to see the great waterfalls I've seen a few times. There are three different levels to these falls – upper, middle and lower.
They're all spectacular, in my opinion. But is IS a lot steps whether you go up to the upper first of down to the lowest. You somehow have to get back to the parking lot!
Just so pretty though. And obviously a busy tourist attraction. So many people!
Sun finally came out. Sorry to make you squint, kids!
All these tree roots growing in rocks was also so crazy!
After Gooseberry, I insisted we go view my favorite lighthouse at Split Rock.
I call this one "This little light of mine." And I'll admit I'm a dork.
After that, it was natural progression to a favorite place of my sisters and me – Betty's Pies.
I had the best slice of Coconut Creme Pie and everyone else gave 2 thumbs up to their selection. Crazy how busy the place was but we could understand why. Yum!
When we got back to Duluth, we dropped the kids off and had some free time for napping or whatever. I finally walked down to the lighthouses. Probably only half a mile away, but it was hot that day.
I saw a bunch of "kids' jumping off this random concrete structure in the harbor there. Can any of you Duluthians shed some light what that is?
I thought they were crazy... then hubby captured me plunging into the freezing water because I was hot and needed some relief. Thank god this from our balcony so you don't see too many details!
Last evening, we found a place called Tavern on the Hill that had a little bit everything. The place is pretty big and located close to the two colleges so I am sure it's busy during the school year.
Everyone's portion sizes were huge so we'll see when I get around to finishing up my Hot Honey chicken!
Our Saturday evening vibe from our balcony was so serene. Loved it!
This morning we woke up and wondered who stole Lake Superior while we slept. Definitely could not see the shoreline or any water! Crazy!
So we changed our plans. We were going to go up Enger Tower to get a full view of the city, but we knew that wasn't realistic. So we we went to nearly Lester Park in search of a waterfall within the city of Duluth.
Well, we picked the wrong challenging hike. The "raging" waterfall was on the the opposite side of the park. But still, it was getting so warm and humid already that we decided that was OK for today.
Still pretty! Give it a chance!
Typical Duluth harbor view as we hit the road to head home!
Stopped for lunch in Bloomer at the Bohemian (hubby's heritage) where we've eaten before.
If you go, I found that just ONE of their "world famous" oatmeal pancakes with blueberries was enough. Depends on your appetite!
We got home late this afternoon to this crazy heatwave. We had plenty to do before our work week starts. But we're just smiling. We had a great weekend with the kids and we all found a place we wouldn't mind visiting again.
Just not in the winter.
Hope you all had a great weekend, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment