Thursday, August 13, 2026

A Pleasure To Have In Class

Of course my grade school teachers would write in my report cards that I was "a pleasure to have in class." Not sure I was, but it was pretty much a standard phrase they used – back in the 1900s! Was it sincere? I'm going to say sure since I have historic documents stating so. Ha.

But this summer as I was a "teacher" of sorts, my star pupil was definitely a true pleasure to have on our writing team. I mentored a college-aged intern again and she was amazing! 

It happened that I've known this "tiny dancer" and her parents for years, but that didn't automatically get her the position. She had to – and did – rock her way through all the interviews! It wasn't the summer we promised her since we were working remotely for half of it. But she enjoyed it. We made it work.

Since tomorrow is her last day already (sob, sob) that means today had to be Trifle Thursday! Naturally.


I texted her mom for ideas of flavors and was pleased to hear she liked chocolate (who doesn't?) and mint, too. My favorite!

For this delicious concoction: Bottom layer is crumbled up brownies. Pudding layer is white chocolate pudding with a touch of mint extract and green food coloring. Crunchy layer is crushed Thin Mints. With a little Cool Whip layer. Repeat. Then garnished with Andes Mints, naturally. So good.

My mom would be so proud of how often I use her rolling pin! Never for pie crust or anything as domestic as that. But I have crushed a lot of cookies for my trifle crunchy layers! Just put them in a gallon Ziploc bag and vent your frustrations. Trifle making is 100% therapy!

When I texted the picture of my completed masterpiece to Jim last night. He happened to be golfing against my intern's dad. He said, "She better be bringing some of that home!" So like a good mentor, when I realized there was about one large serving left in the early afternoon (they go fast), I got her a to-go container and told her "You better scoop up the rest and take it home to your dad!"

Not only was she a quick learner and very professional, she's obviously very considerate. 

(You're welcome, Mr. G. Enjoy your trifle!)

No comments: