Sunday, August 13, 2023

Checking Out Books


We had a bit of a different Book Club this month. Besides discussing the current read, we also did a Bunco type book exchange. We each drew numbers and we could grab the gift bag or steal from someone else. We were pretty much too nice to steal, but it was fun. 

Each of us paired a book with some type of gift in the $20 range. Book bags included no books I've read before: The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green, The Unseen by Roy Jacobsen, Ink Blood Sister Scribe by Emma Torzs, Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi, and Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Finney Boylan (accompanied by honey and a Bee Kind t-shirt).

I got some free coffee with my gift – Before the Coffee Gets Cold – and I'm looking forward to reading about people getting to go back in time – only until their coffee gets cold.

I gave away my retro copy of Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen Woodiwiss. I definitely read that at least one a decade. Ha. For my related gift, since the book takes place in the Civil war, I made a blue and gray reading blanket. 

Basically whipped that together Friday night and yesterday. I had something else in mind and that fell through so this was my last-minute idea and the recipient was appreciative. 

The exchange was a fun idea and the best part is that we'll all share our new books with each other so we can all enjoy the new stories. Now I just have to finish my current book and get started on these new ones. Cold evenings like tonight – yup, gonna get down to 57 so the mattress pad is back on – make it easier to snuggle under a blankie and read, though.

Hope you have some some fun new adventures heading your way this week, too!


No comments: