Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Biggest Loser

Did you know all your weight-loss dreams can come true by opening just one e-mail? Every day there is probably a dozen offers in my inbox for a quick and easy way to a new, skinnier me.

Just click here to "banish those thunder thighs," "turn my belly into bedrock" or "make my arm flaps fly away."

If only it were that easy! I'm the typical yo-yo dieter and have been all my life. As a child, my nickname was Round Robyn and my twin sister, who was 4 inches taller than me, was Lean Raylene. I maintain that I am the perfect weight today -- just happen to be the wrong height!

A group of us "yo-yos" at work decided in January to join the Biggest Loser contest at the fitness center. Each week, we had our body fat percentage measured. I liked that better than strictly checking weight loss. Weight is still a factor but, ideally, as long as your fat turns into muscle, the percentage decreases.

What a great way to start the year off with health top of mind, not to mention a great support network to give each other the nudge to exercise once in awhile. Like those magic e-mails, it sounds good on paper, but ...

Though our intentions were there, the follow-through fell short and our team of 4 finished 19th out of 20. And while the leading team lost 68 pounds, ours was the only group to actually GAIN weight! I am not kidding. I think we could have done nothing and come out ahead.

Now the team contest has turned into an individual competition. We have no one to blame -- or praise -- but ourselves. There are at least 6 of us at work who will be vying for the title of "Biggest Loser." With aliases like Round Robyn, Critical Mass and Baby Phat, this could get crazy.

And why not go a little nuts? We have nothing to lose ... or in this case, everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well time does change things. Your twin, Lean Raylene, is no longer the leaner of the 2. So, don't be so hard on yourself. When you have a GREAT personality Robyn, you don't need to have the GREATEST body. But, I too did stop and check on a health/aerobic class yesterday. It must have been the "get fit" day. Coincidentally one of the owners of the fitness club catered a wonderful lunch at our work. She did look great. And after having a filling lunch and 3 cookies throughtout the afternoon(there were extras)I at least made a step in the right direction. I stopped and got info. Sometimes we just need to take baby steps. A lot of them, but just baby steps. I look forward to reading what you have to say every day. Keep it up! :)