Saturday, April 7, 2007

Up North

We're heading up north today for an Easter celebration with my family."Up North" for us is a teeny spot on the map west of Luck. It's about a four-hour drive to my parents. Do you ever notice how we never say miles in Wisconsin? Distance is always measured by time. How far is it to Luck? About 4 hours (not 200 miles). How far do you drive to work every day? About 50 minutes (not 45 miles).

There's no rush hours to impede our progress. Just enough little towns to slow down for -- and the occasional stoplight. Going up north should be a good trip today. The only thing that will make it SEEM long is the fact that it is snowing (yikes) and the "How much longer?" and "Are we almost there?" from the back seat. Thankfully, those questions have gotten fewer and farther between over the years.

Part of that probably is due to the invention of the GameBoy! Even if the sound is off, Carter will still let out moans and groans when he's losing a game, and the louder "Yes!" when he beats it and asks who wants to see a replay. During today's trip I expect Casey, my oldest stepson, will offer to drive. He got his license two weeks ago. Clay, my 14-year-old stepson, will listen to his iPod, filled with music I probably don't want to hear -- and if I did, would I understand it?

Our goal is to get there around noon so we can have our potluck lunch -- you have to have a potluck in Luck! -- followed by our annual Easter egg hunt in my parents' yard. With today's temps forecast in the 20s, I predict this could be our fastest egg hunt ever! I'll let you know how it goes!

After that we'll spend the afternoon playing games and eating Easter candy and other treats that are so not good for us. I'll feel like crap by the time we get to the hotel tonight and then remind myself I'm going to start my new diet and exercise regime Monday ... I have to allow for another day of eating a few more jellybeans and chocolate eggs!

I'm looking forward to seeing the family today. With 8 kids -- adults now with kids of our own -- it's quite a crowd. I haven't seen them all since Christmas so it will nice. I'll be showing off my newly completed scrapbook from my recent trip to Texas, where I visited our oldest sister, Rayna -- who, by the way, won't be flying in for the frigid fun today!

I have a feeling pictures of palm trees and South Padre Island will plant some travel seeds so Rayna gets more company next fall and winter. Heck, if it stays chilly like this in April, there may be some new Winter Texans from "Up North" this month yet. Maybe I should turn my scrapbooks into travel guides and get a commission ;-)

Gotta hit the road. Happy travels!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will be curious to see what you write about your family visit.