Sunday, April 29, 2007

How much wood ...

Talk about a WILD birthday party.

We had a little get-together today with Jim's family for Carter's upcoming birthday. It was a summer-like day with temps in the 80s so we spent some time outside, enjoying the sunshine.

At one point I hear Jim yell, "Robyn, get your camera! Hurry!" So I get out near the side yard and everyone's talking about some animal they saw. Was it a beaver? Was it a woodchuck? Where did it go?

The scary part is that this wild thing is allegedly living under our steps that cut through our landscaping area in the back yard. So we decide to camp out on the back deck (with camera in hand, of course) until it makes another appearance.

We didn't have to wait long. Out comes this woodchuck that really looks like an obese gopher that ate a squirrel or something fluffy. It just meanders about, eating some dandelions while I snapped pictures and recalled the only other time I saw a woodchuck.

I was probably 10 or 11 and our dog Boomer discovered a woodchuck in our woodpile (go figure). He had that thing cornered but it made a run for it and Boomer ended up chasing it in circles around the tree.

Dad had a brilliant idea that he would whack that woodchuck on the head with a baseball bat. It was literally like watching the "whack-a-mole" game where you wait for the right moment to bop a varmint on the head.

So around and round Boomer and the woodchuck go. Dad readies the bat for a swing, and unfortunately his timing was off. He saw the woodchuck, but by the time the bat came down, it was Boomer's head that took the blow. That was the only case I've heard of a dog getting a concussion.

I had to call Dad tonight to ask him how he ever did get rid of the woodchuck -- in case we need to try something. Did he shoot it or what? "No, he got away," Dad said, "while we were driving Boomer to the vet!"

Hmm... I think we'll look for another solution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that day like it was yesterday! I went with Dad to the vet, poor Boomer. He was a tough ol' dog. Watch out! Woodchucks are nasty critters. R#1

Anonymous said...

I remember that day too. It's strange the things you remember. I felt so sorry for Boomer. As I've gotten older I feel more sorry for Dad 'cause he really didn't mean to get Boomer. But, Boomer was a tough one. The way he tried to jump up in the tree he would have never left that woodchuck alone. Good luck with your quest. May you rise above the beast. R#8

Anonymous said...

My husband said to me when I got home, "did you read Robyn's blog? I laughed so hard, I can just see your dad doing the 'bop the mole'" and then my husband laughed again! Thanks for the smiles! R#1