Tuesday, May 1, 2007

May Day

Of course this day holds a special place in my heart. My baby (he hates when I call him that) turns 9 today! Where does the time go?

May Day was always a special time when I was a child, too. We'd help Mom make May baskets out of construction paper and sometimes envelopes -- she had a trick to folding them and cutting the handle to make them look like baskets. It was some pretty creative handiwork!

And why were we doing this? One of the most popularly known May Day traditions is to hang a basket full of spring flowers and/or other small gifts or candy on a neighbor's doorknob. The trick is you don't want the neighbor to see you! If you get caught, you are supposed to get a kiss.

We only had two houses with boys in the neighborhood. And, as much as we'd love for the Hacker boys to catch us and kiss us, we had to expand our mission. No, not for more kisses! We delivered a lot of baskets to elderly folks in the area who really appreciated the gesture.

Call it a spring act of kindness, if you will. That's what May Day is all about.

That, and a special "baby" who I can kiss every day of the year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. I remember the May Day baskets. We did wish for a kiss from those boys. But, what matters most is that I do remember how to make those May baskets out of envelopes. I made some last year for some of my co-workers. They got a kick out of it. Of course you have to put the sunshine and flowers and birds and butterflies on them. It just wouldn't be right without it. I have also had my daughter make some with me in the past and we brought them to elderly people in the neighborhood when we lived in town. I guess the day isn't over yet. So, I may get some made this year after all. Thanks for the memories Loving Sister! R#8

Unknown said...

We used to do that too when I was little! My mom taught us the tradition, but then when we took them to the neighbors' house, their boy actually ran out the door and tried to kiss us!! I'd never been so horrified in my life!

I love May baskets!