Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

I was privileged to grow up with two mothers: My birth mother and my "upstairs mom."

That's what I call my oldest sister Rayna who, technically, is old enough to be my mother. As the babies (and almost 17 years younger), it seems my twin and I have always called her that.

And not because she was bossy. She really has been like a mother to us. She nurtured us, took care of us when Mom needed a hand (which was often enough with 8 children!), supported us, advised us and has been a positive role model for us.

Although Rayna doesn't have any children of her own, she deserves just as much recognition today as all the other moms. We still run to her sometimes as adults. Though now it's not for a skinned knee; sometimes it's for a broken heart. Sometimes we just need a hand or hug or listening ear. She's always there for us.

When I called my mom tonight to wish her a happy Mother's Day, she told me about something Rayna did yesterday that once again illustrates her giving and supportive nature. Her week-long visit home from Texas coincided with our nephew Zachary's very first horse auction.

Zach owns his own farrier business, Quick Draw Equine Service, and some of our family attended this event to show their support. I guess Rayna took it a step further and actually bought a horse! I don't have the details yet because she was flying home today, but I doubt the horse was in the pet cargo area.

I realize there are lots of Texans with horses, so maybe she's been in the market for one for awhile. Part of me thinks because there was a small turnout, she was just doing what she could to help one of her "babies" out.

Either that or she wanted her husband, Paul, to know what a real nag was like!

Happy Mother's Day to Rayna and all the mothers out there who would do anything for their babies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guessed it right, at least part of it. Zach is my godson & yes, one of my "babies." So I was trying to help him out, uff-da, there must be other ways to help a kid out, right? However, Zach was riding Doc's Royal Daughter (AKA Princess :)) when I arrived & then I took some pictures of him against the backdrop of spring green poplar trees. I went out later & he was riding her again, so I stopped to chat. I had a "horse whisperer" kind of experience & looked right into her eyes & I fell in "love." I asked Zach if she would bite me being she's so young & I was so close, he said he didn't think so. So I told her she's got spirit & before I knew it I was bidding on a 2 year old filly! I even got wished "happy mother's day" due my adopting a two year old. Now I just have figure out what I'm going to train her, oh, I guess I should say... what Zach is going to train her for... trail ride or rodeo or cattle roping? Paul says there still slaughter-houses in Texas that use horses. He can say that because he has not looked into those big brown eyes of my Princess! :) Rayna P.S. THANKS FOR BEAUTIFUL "MOTHER'S DAY" MESSAGE!