Sunday, May 27, 2007

Undomestic Goddess :: Part 1

My husband called me an "undomestic goddess" today and frankly, as they say, I resemble that remark. For the sake of time and space, I will stick to the kitchen for this blog.

Since we are finally home for a weekend, I decided to get some spring cleaning done over this long holiday weekend. Yesterday I tackled the kitchen. I was throwing out old stuff, like torn bags and cracked plastic containers, and trying to organize things.

Our counter space is cramped so I finally put that huge food processor in storage. I have this challenge at Christmas time that I never know what to ask for from Jim's family, so I always put some appliance or trendy gadget on my list. And I usually get it. The food processor is everything I could ask for ... If I ever had need for one. I've used it once and now I know where it is for the next time.

I came across some bags of M&M's, too. Christmas colors. And mint, too. My favorite! I decided I better get those made into cookies today. I checked for ingredients. As usual, my brown sugar is a brick since the last time I needed it. And I thought I had everything else.

I started making them today and when I pulled out the shortening, thinking of the brown sugar, I thought I should check for a date on the can. Sure enough. "Best used by 09/06." Who knew shortening had an expiration date?!

Well the old phrase of borrowing a cup of sugar is more of a challenge in these times, I found. It took me calls to two neighbors to find -- and subsequently borrow a cup o' shortening. Not everyone keeps it on hand. People just don't bake like they used to. I love baking. I do! I just don't think about it much between Christmas and Thanksgiving. And then I have to buy all new "fresh" ingredients.

I'm sure the M&M's expired, too, but the cookies taste pretty darn good -- if I do say so myself. I used my handy-dandy brand new Pampered Chef scoop -- another gadget I HAD to have -- and I can't wait to use it again, come Christmas.

Domestic or undomestic, I should just be thrilled Jim called me a goddess. Usually he calls me Martha Stewart ... but that's only because I make a mess when I'm baking and he wonders when my TV crew will be by to clean it up!

No comments: