Friday, May 25, 2007

U.F.O.

You've heard it said that "It's the thought that counts" and "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." In plain English, they mean: Don't be ungrateful when you receive a gift. ... Even if you don't know what it is.

Carter had a field trip this week to the Milwaukee Public Museum, which is considered one of the top American museums of natural and human history. After visiting a museum while we were in Texas, he was very excited to go and had a great time.

I told him he was lucky to go. The grade-school field trips I remember included bus rides to Crex Meadows (a wildlife preserve) and the Shrine Circus. A little mix of education and fun.

The best part for me was that I got to pack a lunch (including a can of pop. Wow!). I also got to buy a small souvenir. I still remember that laser gun-shaped flashlight I bought at the circus. That was cool ... even if the battery was dead by the time I got home.

This week Carter had no interest in carrying money for the museum gift shop so we didn't send any with him. Much to our surprise, when he got home, he presented us with a "very fragile" gift.

I carefully unwrapped the tissue paper and there it was ... a ... what? It was about an 8-inch long white crystal-like rod that reminded me of those krypton things from the Superman movies. I didn't want to offend the gift-giver and ask what it was, so I just said, "Oh, that's pretty!"

Carter's the one who 'fessed up. "I can't remember what it's called but I think it starts with an S."

So now we have this Unidentified Fieldtrip Object that we don't know what it is or where we'll put it. But we'll always remember Carter thought enough of his parents to borrow $3.75 from a friend to buy us a present -- and leave the toy flashlight on the shelf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it is like a stalagmite or stalactite, you could put it in a cave. But to keep it out and visible, you could wrap it with bead things.
~ Ron