Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sign of the times

The good news about being an editor is that I have an appreciation for the written word. The bad news about being an editor is that I don't appreciate it when others don't. Actually, I don't care if others appreciate the English language. I just want to see them use it correctly.

The violations are everywhere: newsletters, menus, road signs. I often find myself groaning over a dangling modifier or misplaced apostrophe. (OK -- I'm not a nerd. I just like saying "dangling modifier" because it sounds funny. And where else could I write about them?)

The apostrophe thing, though, that bugs me. People love apostrophes and they have to use them all the time. "Congrats to the Jensen's!" "Let's cheer on the Viking's tonight!" People don't get it.

For years I have been bothered by the sign at right, posted a mile down the road from my parents' house. I just want to scratch out an "l" or paint in a "y" at the end. I should probably carry an industrial-size tub of WhiteOut in my purse and take care of these things.

I'm pleased to report I am not the only one consumed by this righteous effort. My friend Sandy at work, also an editor, calls us "guardians of the English language." I like that. We have a cause!

My mother is a fellow guardian. That Rustic Road sign -- which she sees daily -- has probably pushed her to her limits. At least I know what to get her for her next birthday. But do they even make WhiteOut anymore?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I've been tempted to do a little editing on that sign. Fortunately I rarely see it these days. Or should I say day's? ;-)

Your brother

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah... I see I forgot a comma.

Your brother