Friday, May 4, 2007

Associate's degree

I have this fear my son is going to grow up to be a Wal-Mart associate. Nothing against Wal-Mart, I mean I spend more time there than at church or on the golf course, but I am hoping he aspires to something higher ... Maybe something that will support his parents someday.

Anyway, he's got this desire to be a cart boy or whatever you may call those guys in the orange vests who corral the shopping carts so they don't get run over or take up spaces in the parking lot. Every time we go -- even if it's raining -- he offers to put our cart away after we've unloaded our groceries and other rollback pricing finds of the day.

He then proceeds to put our cart away and find any other "strays" in the area. This only takes a few minutes but I think he'd do the whole lot if I let him. "I'm helping the community, Mom," he says.

Last night I had to cut him short so I could get home in time for Grey's. Plus, he'd already done his work as an associate. If you can believe it, Carter actually did a price check!

We were in the Express Lane and the price would not come up on this Spider-Man playground ball we were buying for his friend's birthday. The cashier paged someone in toys twice and got no response. So Carter volunteered to check it out. I was surprised the cashier let him, but who could resist those dimples? He trotted halfway across the store and back before anyone answered the page!

"Maybe I should work here!" he said. I was cringing inside but then part of me thought, hmmm ... employee discount ....

No comments: