Monday, May 14, 2007

Music to my ears

We got a dose of culture this weekend when we attended a Mother's Day Concert presented by the UW-Marshfield/Wood County Symphony.

Yes, this is the same family who spent last Friday night at the races. And no, no one died of culture shock!

We had intended it to be a night for just Jim and I because the guest pianist, Jeffrey Panko, was a high school classmate of Jim's. When the babysitter situation became a nightmare, we had to take Carter with us. Surprisingly, he enjoyed it. He was able to identify some of the instruments because of music class and couldn't wait to tell his music teacher he saw a real, live orchestra.

All three of us were impressed with Jeff, who has come a long way since the days at Assumption High School when he played piano while Jim was in swing choir. He has made a career out of tickling the ivories -- and deservedly so.

There's not even a word to describe his talent. Carter liked it when he played fast, while we adults thought it was a moving performance. When it was done, we couldn't help but say, "I wish I could play like that!"

For Carter, there is still hope. And Jim does know how to play the organ already -- with both hands! All I have to cling to is my attempts at playing our "play by number" keyboard when I was a child.

I'm proud to say, though, that I still know how to play Silent Night ... 5-6-5-3, 5-6-5-3, 9-9-7 ...

No comments: