Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Apple of my eye

We've heard that phrase, "The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree," when it comes to our dear Carter. They say it when they see how closely he physically resembles Daddy. And Daddy says it when he sees Carter being a worry wart like Momma. Sometimes the "tree" is not either/or, it's both.

Last night I realized both of our "trees" bear some good fruit.

I was looking through Carter's Monday Folder, which includes homework and classwork from the previous week. I was pleased to see he got 15 out of 15 on his spelling test -- including the word chrysanthemum!

Then I see a couple English worksheets with a 2 or 3 out of 5 score and I wonder why there's this inconsistency in basically the same subject matter. Then I take a closer look ... and smile.

The assignment was to find the punctuation and grammar errors in the sentence. Then, the directions said, write out the new sentence correctly. Only Carter didn't do that. Instead, each sentence was marked up with proofreader's marks -- just like Mom and Dad the editors would do! The teacher's note in the margins said, "Write out the new sentence." So that's why he got a low score. He marked them up and moved on.

All the proofreader's mark were correct, by the way. How do you like them apples?!

No comments: