Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bouncing back

I'm a big fan of watching football but sometimes I have to cover my eyes when they replay a play that resulted in an injury. I just have to close my eyes and I can vividly recall quarterback Joe Theismann snapping his leg in half. And that was more than 20 years ago!

Just this past Sunday, Kevin Everett of the Buffalo Bills appeared to jam his head and neck -- and ended up sustaining a life-threatening spinal cord injury. I couldn't watch it again, knowing how serious the situation became. The doctors doubted he'd ever walk again but thankfully -- miraculously really -- he is showing signs of improvement.

Those things happen so quickly. In less than the time it takes to snap your fingers, a career can be ended. But more significantly, there is pain ... and plenty of emotional strain for those mothers watching. We don't want anything happening to our baby boys!

Today at work I held a vigil of sorts for one of our co-workers we feared was seriously injured while playing hoops over the lunch hour. Just like Kevin Everett, he apparently jammed his head a bit and then lay unmoving. He had to be strapped to a back board and carted off via ambulance to the hospital.

Having had my share of "back board" ambulance rides myself, I know how scary it is -- but also know it's usually just a precaution. Unfortunately, with the Kevin Everett story so fresh in my mind, I feared the worst. I thought "what if Dean really is hurt?" Dean, so full of life. Dean, who bounces around work like a gerbil on speed. Dean, who spares no one from his joking and kidding.

I found myself praying silently at my desk. We certainly don't want something bad happening to a good person. And we immediately think, too, what would I do if that happened to my husband or one of our boys? Sometimes I think I am such a strong person but then when I think of things like that, I wonder how I would handle witnessing a loved one in pain.

Thankfully, Dean was OK and actually returned to work later in the afternoon... in good spirits, naturally, and grateful to be alright. I'm grateful, too. Grateful he's going to be fine and grateful for the reminder there is a someone out there looking out for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why does your blog always make me laugh or make me cry? You must be a great writer!