Saturday, September 1, 2007

Putting it in gear

Most women change their last name when they get married. Some change their address or even their religion. I became a gearhead. And I must confess, it hasn't been that bad.

Before Jim, I had been to maybe three local stockcar races as a teen. I had heard of NASCAR but never wasted, err ... enthusiastically spent a Sunday afternoon, watching it on TV. I didn't know there were "road courses" that aren't shaped like ovals. I certainly didn't know what "going three wide on turn 4" meant either. Should I be embarrassed to say I know now?

Jim introduced me to racing when we got into a NASCAR pool at work where we had to pick two drivers each weekend that we thought would win. First I picked based on names I liked, then I became a fan of Jeff Burton because his birthday is the day after mine. Then I latched onto Tony Stewart because I love orange (and Jeff's car is orange now, too). Of course we all cheer for Matt Kenseth because he is from Wisconsin and we saw him race back when they called him "Matt the Brat."

It's hard not to catch racing fever in the Wisconsin Rapids area, home of legendary Dick Trickle, billed as America's winningest stockcar driver. (Don't laugh at the name, either. It demands serious respect around these parts!) They love racing here.

Jim's sister Sherry married into a big time racing family. Her father-in-law Tom Reffner often raced against Trickle. Her husband Baird raced locally and her brother-in-law Flyin' Bryan Reffner raced stockcars and trucks (you may have seen him on TV in the Craftsman Truck Series). Her son Colin holds honors as the youngest racecar driver in Wisconsin to win a feature.

Last night we went to watch him race. By winning heats and features and such, drivers accumulate points throughout the season and, as with any sport (except golf), the one with the most points at the end wins. Going into last night's racing, Colin was only 8 points behind the leader so we knew it could have the makings of a big night. We were all there to support him -- our three boys and Jim's parents -- sporting our "Reffner blue" #87 Colin Reffner hats.

Colin qualified with the fastest time in his division (4 cylinders), something he has pretty much done every time he's raced this summer. He didn't win the heat race, but neither did the points leader. Because of his fast qualifying time, he and the leader started in the back of the pack for the feature. Colin has done this before and eventually has passed everyone to win. Last night, however, it was not to be.

It wasn't too far into the race, when suddenly a car was on top of Colin's and he literally gave it a ride around a quarter of the track before that car "disengaged" itself. I think each one of us said a big "Oh no!" We felt so bad. We knew he had to win that race. His car was still OK to drive, but he never was able to catch up like he needed to.

We can only imagine his disappointment. But as a 13-year-old, he'll have a lot more chances, I'm sure of it. And as a third-generation racer, he has nothing to be ashamed of. His family is incredibly proud. And I'm proud to be a fan!

It almost makes it OK to be a gearhead, doesn't it? I said, doesn't it? Sigh ... Maybe I'll see ya in the pits!

No comments: