Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Back to school ... again

I'm proud to say I'm a lifelong student. In a good way. No I'm not stuck in school as a 5th-, 6th- or 7th-year senior. I am learning in the school of life ... lessons that will advance my career and lessons that will advance me as a fair and friendly human being. And for every class, there is a different teacher -- or mentor, if you will.

I've been fortunate the past two years to have a publisher who has respected my knowledge and pushed me to learn more. In fact, Kevin was just grumbling in a meeting the other day that he has imparted so much wisdom and still hasn't made the blog! Well he's making it today ... and it's not for a good reason.

Kevin announced today that he is leaving our company and moving on to something that will be better for him -- probably physically, emotionally and mentally. I was stunned but not surprised. And selfishly I was ticked off that he was deserting me. (The nerve!)

Trust me, those of you who have had "bosses from hell" know how good it feels to finally get a "good one." I've had bosses who mimicked Hitler, one who did crossword puzzles at his desk and one I affectionately called "The Load." Kevin was like a breath of fresh air.

Yes, he challenged me outside of my comfort zone but he respected my opinion and had faith in my abilities. As I result, I have learned a magnitude about the ins and outs of publishing, not to mention managing. I'm almost embarrassed at how little I knew 5 years ago when I was running a newsroom at a daily newspaper. For this I am eternally grateful.

Of course, now that I don't report to you directly, Kevin (yes, I know you're reading this in your new-found free time), I am free to blog away about your wisdom and clever corporate-speak we'll never grow tired of.

I'm "giving you visibility on this," I hope in your new career path there will be an abundance of "low-hanging fruit" and that you'll "take the lead" on this business of having some fun! Best, Robyn.

No comments: