Monday, June 25, 2007

Berry nice

Where do cranberries come from? Before I moved to Wisconsin Rapids, I had no idea central Wisconsin was a hot bed of cranberry beds. Northland Cranberries is headquartered here and we have many, many growers for Ocean Spray.

This past weekend, our community festival -- formerly known as Grand River Fest -- took on a new name. It's now called the Cranberry Blossom Fest and the theme was something like: "Plant the seeds! Blossom in our community!"

The name change didn't mean that much to me just as long as the Mini-Donut truck was around. And it was! So was the Sno-Cone man (which made Carter's day). And, much to my delight, the Cheesecake-on-a-Stick chick!

We did the food thing Saturday. After my run, I felt like I deserved a treat (now you see why I don't make progress on the scales?) so we walked around eating mini-donuts. When it was time to go, I had to stop at the cheesecake booth. "I am so full," I told the vendor, "but I cannot pass up cheesecake on a stick!"

So I got a piece, took it home and put it in the fridge. It was my evening snack. M-m-m!

On Sunday, we decided to hit the parade. My candy dish at work was getting empty so I told Carter I was going to put him to work, catching whatever was thrown our way. Problem solved.

We also got a bunch of little bags of "Craisins" -- which are cranberries that look like raisins. After the weekend of indulgence, I decided I should put those Craisins on my cereal this morning. Not bad for something healthy.

Though nothing quite sticks to the ribs -- or the hips for that matter -- like chocolate-dipped turtle cheesecake on a stick! Where's the next festival?!?

No comments: