Thursday, June 28, 2007

King of the hill

"You say it's your birthday. It's my birthday, too ..." That song, which I remember being performed by the "Geek" in Sixteen Candles (one of my favorite flicks), is so fitting when you have a twin! Happy birthday, Raylene!

We are both 39 today, still climbing that hill they talk about. I think my sister RoAnn said it best today when she told me to enjoy my year on top of the hill. Apparently when I hit 40 next year, I am over the hill. (That surprised me, coming from someone who turns 50 this year, RoAnn!)

I like the concept, though. I can be king of my own hill for the next year! What will I do with all this power?! I could treat this like New Year's and figure out what I can resolve to do or accomplish in the next year ... while I'm still young.

Frankly, I don't have to be young to accomplish things like "live clutter-free," "catch up on scrapbooking" or "fit into my clothes." I just have to resolve to do it. Make them a priority!

Not today, though. I'm using my "Get out of jail free" card ... my birthday pass. My only resolution today is to enjoy the aging process.

I love my birthday as an adult. I think it's because I always shared the birthday attention as a child. No offense, Raylene.

But I love today that there are balloons hanging over my desk for MY birthday. I love that people are stopping over for my "not quite older than dirt" cake for MY birthday. Tonight we're going out to eat with friends for MY birthday. Then I'll get some good-night hugs from my guys for MY birthday.

Next year, though, Raylene and I will hold hands and crest the tippy top of the "hill" together for OUR birthday! I can't face that one alone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Robyn!! Raylene, too! I did a creative comment but it did not go thru, so more or less it said that I am old and you are still young!!

Anonymous said...

Happy 39th birthday Robyn!!! So glad that you have so many people around you helping you get up this last knoll before you are over the hill. Sounds like a fun day!! Enjoy, eat cake (lots), do something outrageous (but not illegal), and keep moving so the vultures don't get you!! I am so glad that I was so old when "the twins" were born, I got to take care of you and spoil you two, too. If u r 39, how old can I be?? Don't answer that! Gotta run - the vultures are flying overhead!! Have a great one - Luv ya,Romey P.S. Tell Carter, a "big" bear was in the yard at noon today, don't they ever sleep? The Northwoods is still wild!

Rayna Delaney said...

Robyn,
Hope you had an awesome day! You deserve it. Is your next birthday on Saturday, June 28, 2008 (I think it's leap year in 2008, isn't it?)? I better start saving my pennies to get up there for that! Love, R#1

Jules said...

Hey Robyn, Happy 39th plus a few days- dont worry, you will still be a rodent after 40! I am giving 40 a test ride this year and its not too bad, I am actually liking 40! Thanks for your blog- I enjoying reading it on a regular basis. love, jules