Saturday, June 23, 2007

Let's do the Boogaloo

I don't know what prompted me to sign up to run a 5K. I think it was the name: The Auby Boogaloo Scamper 5K Fun Run.

Named after some latin dance and held as part of the weekend music festival in Auburndale, I couldn't resist. Plus, they called it a "fun run." What could be better? So I mailed in my registration last weekend and there was no turning back.

Today was the big day. Thanks to the help of my coach and personal trainer Tamara (who loves making the blog), I hydrated yesterday, had carbs for supper and ate a protein power bar for breakfast. I was as ready as I could be.

Carter actually had a race first: The Mini-Loo, which was one time around the high school track -- a quarter mile. There were about 10 kids aged 9 and under. He smoked the competition, coming in at least 100 yards ahead of the next kid. Way to go!

My race was an hour later so I had plenty of time to get my nerves worked up some more. I don't know why I was so nervous. Since this was my first 5K race, I had no expectations. My only goal was to NOT STOP and to hopefully finish around 35 minutes (yes, I'm old and slow. I just wanted to do this to say I did it!) I also noticed quickly that I do not have a runner's body or anything close to it. I said to Jim, "I'm the only one with boobs!"

At the start, with close to 70 people off and running very quickly, I realized even more so I was out of my league but reminded myself to stick to the plan. Don't stop.

And I didn't. The way things were going by the halfway point, I thought I was in last place. Then I made the turn and realized there were a bunch of people behind me. That boosted my spirits a bit -- but didn't quite boost my energy. It was very warm and sunny and I was hot and tired. But I didn't stop.

When I got back to the school, I had to run one more lap around the track. I saw the time clock and knew I wouldn't have a problem making my 35-minute time. But could I do better? Coach Tamara had said I better not have anything left when I'm done. If I can sprint in the end, I saved up too much.

Well no problems there. I had nothing left but when I had 100 yards to go I saw I was under 30 minutes and I pushed as hard as I could to finish under 30 and I did it! Final time for me was 29:42. I couldn't believe it.

Later, when the results were posted, I saw I was indeed the old lady in my age category of 30-39. I finished 4th in that group but just may have been the first woman with a chest to finish (I may rename the race the Boobaloo).

Only the top 3 in each category got a ribbon, but I got a cool Boogaloo T-shirt and I can go into my next birthday this week armed with the knowledge that I'm never too old to try something new!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Robyn! And Carter too! Thanks for the inspiration.

Former (future?) runner Ron

Anonymous said...

Great Job, Robyn!

You're right, never too old to do something new. Your stories have been fun to read, but also an inspiration! The cute, funny, smart men that you live with are such an addition to our family, keep on writing more about them & your life accomplishments. R#1

Anonymous said...

Great job Robyn & Carter! Thanks for the inspiration. I may actually walk a 5K by the end of summer. I guess I should at least start walking. I did yesterday though. Gotta start somewhere. You should feel proud of your accomplishments. R#8

Anonymous said...

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS! I made the blog again! Woo hoo! :) I am so proud of you Robyn! What a great feeling, huh, to be a true road race runner!

Your wanna-be coach,

Tamara

Anonymous said...

I won the real prize - I took home the only competitor with boobs!

J#1

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your exciting day(s) for all to read. i enjoy them all! Congrats on your 5K and way to go Carter for your great race! Cute picture of u 2! I enjoyed all the comments - but Jim's was the best! He's so lucky to have you Robyn. R#2

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm seeing this a couple years after you wrote it, but it makes me smile and feel like I belong to a group: "The old-timers with boobs who really should be sitting on the coach instead of running a 5k" club. You see, I was an avid runner 20 some years ago, but when my husband and I decided to have children, my running days ended. At 41, I started running again, mostly because I wanted to bond with my teenage cross country runner. I have now completed a 5k, a 6k, and two 2-mile races. My times are not great, but I finished every race without stopping. What a feeling! And I'm doing the 2010 Boogaloo run in a couple of weeks. Hope to see you there! My goal is to run a 10k next June. Keep your fingers crossed... and can I borrow your trainer??