Monday, September 18, 2023

Old Mother Hubbard

Old Mother Hubbard went to her cupboard to get her poor dog a bone...

But when she got there, the cupboard was filled with 40 tumblers...

And 3 dozen stadium cups... so there wasn't any room for a bone! And the poor dog got none. It's no wonder we don't have a dog!

Crazy what 20+ years of accumulation gets you. After putting the old cupboards up for sale and selling them in 5 minutes, it was time to get serious about emptying them. Spent most of Friday night and Saturday doing that while trying to get rid of stuff along the way. But we have to keep SOME things for sentimental reasons.

I mean the dishtowel drawer was a literal time capsule! I remember Carter wearing all these bibs! Yep, I definitely did cry!


Our staging area for the next two weeks!

Sunday afternoon was cabinet removal time. Thanks a million to Super Mike! Good to have a tall AND handy neighbor. We appreciated that so much. 

With the cabinets gone, it was time to commence to wallpaper removal. There is a lot of wallpaper in our kitchen-dining room. And it is slow to remove because it was basically glued to drywall 3 decades ago so just when it seems the wallpaper is coming off easy, we realize the backing is still there. That requires warm water and scraping. And it is tedious.

Since our painter is coming Thursday, I took this afternoon off just to make some headway. Then Jim kept working on it while I was galavanting around, getting my previously scheduled after-work massage (perfect timing) and going to book club. 

So I better put in another hour of labor before bedtime. Did I mention we have a wedding this weekend? Let's see how much we can squeeze into a 7-day period. Gah. I just hope the new cupboards won't be far behind. It took me 15 minutes to find my gum today!

Mother Hubbard over and out.

No comments: