Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Faith to Move (or See) Mountains


Most people know I like to take pictures of sunrises and sunset and yes, even clouds. When I pulled up to a stoplight on the way home and saw this, I immediately thought, "Hey, that looks like Denali!"

If you've ever been to Alaska, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, here's the legitimate scoop from Robyn-pedia.

Denali (aka Mount McKinley) is the tallest mountain in North America, rising some 20,000 feet. I can't think of anything to compare it to, but that's huge. Yet, sometimes you can't see it.

What?! How does a massive pile of granite play hide and seek? Well, in simple terms, it's so tall, it can create its own weather pattern and therefore, clouds to hide in. I'm serious! When my sister Renell and I were in Alaska a couple years ago and touring the national park named after Denali, we didn't see it all day. And then, when we did see it the next day, we exclaimed, "How the heck could we miss THAT?"


Well, all those mountains just above the trees in this photo are pretty big mountains. They just aren't "The Big One," as they call her, in the background. Since only 30% of tourists actually see Her, we felt extremely fortunate. As for the other 70% .... I mean they don't doubt Denali exists, do they?

It's like our current family situation is filled with big mountains right now. But even though we can't see God – the real Big One – we believe He's there. Thankfully, He shows Himself to us often enough, we don't forget.

How does He make His presence known? Oh, when Mom or Rachel have good days. Or even on bad days when He puts the right medicine in the doctors' hands to fight the next mountain of infection or other steep climb.

Thanks for working hard, Big One, even when we don't see You!

Tonight I saw a special movie that further reinforced my faith in, well, having faith!

Our local theater had a special preview showing of Unsung Hero – a remarkable true story following David Smallbone as he moves his family from Down Under to the States, searching for a brighter future after his successful music company collapses. With nothing more than their seven children, suitcases, and their love of music, he and his pregnant wife set out to rebuild their lives. As the story unfolds, Helen's faith stands against all odds and inspires her husband and children to hold onto theirs. And while their own dreams are on hold, the parents discover the musical talents of their children–who, of course, go on to become two of the most successful acts in Inspirational Music history: five-time Grammy Award-winning artists for KING + COUNTRY and Rebecca St. James.

Wow.

Even that was the Big One peeking out from His own weather system to say, "I'm here! I've got you."

Great story, great movie, and great music, too! Spoiler alert: The mom is the Unsung Hero. Find the song and listen! And, if you need a pick-me-up or reminder of how faith can move mountains, go see the movie when it comes out this weekend. And bring tissues!

Hopefully that's the only tears I'll need to shed today. My two favorite patients had pretty stable days today. 

Thanks, Big Guy.

No comments: