Saturday, April 6, 2024

Thank God for Modern Medicine


After passing several Amish conveyances on my way to and from the Twin Cities today, I was especially grateful for modern medicine.

Even though I've been sharing facts about my sister's condition this week, nothing could have quite prepared me to see it and her in person. 

As I'm pretty sure I've stated previously, if I had a rock band with Carter we'd be the Fainting Goats. As in we cannot handle the sight of blood or anything traumatic. My victory today was that I did not faint in the middle of Rachel's room. Thank God as they had way more important things to attend to with her!

After Thursday's surgery on her left leg, that was now bound with typical bandages you see on an athlete with a sprained ankle. But her left elbow and foot were still held together by vise grip type screws. I am sure there's a medical term for them. But that's what I wasn't prepared for.

So I just concentrated on looking into her eyes and talking to her. By the way, her glasses survived the crash without a scratch! 

I read to her from some daily devotion books we both like. It was by pure coincidence that today's totally hit home.


This was a great reminder for her to not worry about the future, but just concentrate on the moment. Be grateful for where you are right now.

And she's in such great hands at Regions Hospital in St. Paul. She even had nurse named Robyn with a Y! We bonded over that! It's a Robyn thing. Some of you might understand.

I gave her some time to rest after she enjoyed a Fudgesicle. Then our mom and sister Rayna arrived. (and sister Nell shortly after.) This was also Mom's first time seeing her. As she basically told Rachel's son and daughter-in-law last night: I'm coming no matter what. This is one of my babies. (I get that!!)

I'm so glad both Mom and I chose today so we could actually have a conversion with the Rachel we know. Though her voice is still just slightly above a whisper, we know she's in there. Thank you, God! 


One more shout out to Regions Hospital. You all are freaking amazing! From the surgeons to the personnel feeding her pudding and ice cream, we can't thank you enough for your tender care!

She's in the best hands and that is a comfort to her son, daughter-in-law, our Mom and the other 7 R's. Amen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update. It is amazing isn’t it, modern medicine?. It does take a little bit of bravery to see the screw like contraptions holding body parts together. I’m with you, Robyn, perhaps a fainting goat. as well. Sending continued prayers your way. So glad your mom was with you..

Anonymous said...

Thank you Robyn for your update and lovely words. The love between all of you is such a light to us that are so concerned about Rachel and all of you. We will continue to pray everyday and God has and will be there to hear our prayers and give you all peace.