Saturday, August 10, 2024

Bringing Joy to Others


We laid Momma to rest today. After a lovely memorial service in a church filled with people whose lives she touched. She would have absolutely loved it.


The theme for today – as you'll see in our group photo later – was anything floral (she had two green thumbs!) and her favorite color purple (except not the Vikings).

My nephew Eric read the eulogy and everyone in attendance was quite familiar with Mom's love of writing and sending out cards for birthdays, anniversarys, and other special occasions – and letters to raise funds for the annual Cancer Walk in Luck.

Mom always said she was most comfortable with a pen in hand – and her penmanship was immaculate. I may have gotten the gift of writing from her, but not the gift of penmanship!

In her words, "Of course I like to write. That's why I feel the need to keep on writing to people for as long as my hand will do it. Someday my hand will be still and I can't do that anymore. If there's something that comes easy to you, do it. See if will bring some joy to someone else."

She sure did that! Something we all should strive for, if you ask me.

For special music, our cousins Laryn and Lydell sang, "Why me, Lord" and the church soloist sang Mom's favorite song from her record player days, "One Day at a Time" by Marilyn Sellars. Both songs were beautiful. And of course the closing "How Great Thou Art" had me sobbing uncontrollably, per usual.

The luncheon was a nice to catch up with so many cousins and the amazing people who traveled from Wisconsin Rapids, Milwaukee and Madison to support me and my family. Thanks, Clay, Becca, Baird, Sherry, Mike, Christine, and Julie. Love you all!

Since the service was held at larger church in Grantsburg, we headed down to our tiny home church, Laketown Lutheran, for the burial.

When Dad died, he wanted the grandkids to dig the hole for his urn. Mom wanted the same and this time the little great-grandchildren lent a hand with the shovels. 

After some words from the pastor, my twin Raylene and I were honored to lower Mom's urn into a resting place beside Dad. 

We had 8 yellow roses at the service representing the 8 R's – and had 3 white roses in memory of the babies Mom lost – a full set of twins and Rachel's twin brother, all who died shortly after birth. Raylene and I placed the white roses around Mom's urn, knowing she is once again united with her angel babies.

Did I mention there was a lot of crying?


We did manage some smiles, though, for out group photos...

The 8 R's and our floral palooza.


The OG 11 grandchildren all grown up!


And some but not all of the great-grand littles.


We were all pretty sure that by the time we pulled out of the church driveway, Mom and Dad (who loved to dance) were already Waltzing Across Texas!

Thanks to all of you who came in person today or sent cards and texts of support. It means the world to us.

Just like Mom did. 

In her gratitude journal on March 25, 2022, she wrote: "Today I turned 90. How did I get this far? ONE DAY AT A TIME, I guess."

Rest in peace, Momma. You deserve it!


No comments: