Friday, August 9, 2024

The Road Home



We hit the road to my "way back" home this afternoon as we prepare to say our final goodbyes to Mom tomorrow.

Carter drove up from Cedar Rapids so he could ride up with us. Our hotel in Grantsburg is literally 3 minutes from the church so we can sleep in -- well compared to hitting the road at 5 a.m.!

Stopped at the halfway point for dinner at Milwaukee Burger Company in Eau Claire. If you haven't been there before, here's a preview of some burgers...





There's a chance our eyes were bigger than our stomachs. But we all gave it a valient effort!

Part of the drive up I was reading Mom's journal from when she was 16. I wouldn't call it a diary. More of a planner book with a few comments each day.

Things like "Roller skating with LeRoy." And on Christmas Eve, "LeRoy came over. Got my ring!" She also mentioned driving the "Honker" somewhere. Boy I wish I read this so much earlier so I could hear the story about that!

If you have your grandparents or parents still, take time to ask questions and hear their stories!

Don't wait until you're taking the long road home. And there's no one "home" anymore.

Hug your loved ones ❤️!

No comments: