Wednesday, August 29, 2007

B.F.F.

Remember in grade school when we'd pass notes to our girlfriends and sign them BFF (best friends forever) -- and we really meant it? We really thought we'd forever be calling each other daily and stay totally involved in every aspect of each other's lives -- from boyfriends to bad bosses to bad hair days. It just doesn't work out that way.

For those of us approaching 40 or are already at the top of that hill (or over it), it seems to be nature's requirement that we take time to reflect on life. Where are we? How did we get here? And where are all those people who took part in segments of that journey?

For me, I've had some really close friends (I'd call many my BFFs) during each road trip on that journey. My friend Julie has been my BFF forever -- well fifth grade seems like forever ago. What is special about Julie is that she knows everything about me from the get-go (and still wants to be my friend!). Plus, we survived high school together -- that says a lot, trust me!! Our lives have intersected in interesting ways over the years and we still keep in touch (probably every other week -- thanks to email)!

When I think back on every stage of my life since then, I fondly recall special moments with wonderful friends.

In college, there were Sue and Maggie (roommates); Carolyn and April (who I first got to know through the school newspaper and yearbook); and there was the Rodent Club with Jules and Carrie. I don't know if I will ever put that story out on the Internet for the world to know about, but we had fun living life as RAs (resident assistants) in Angell Hall.

At Bible camp, our whole staff was a family. At the newspapers, there was Cindy, Sally, Kristin, Laura, Kathy, Toni, Deb and Melissa. At my current job, there's Jana, Katy, Karen, Sandy, Tamara and many more. In my neighborhood, I have Cindy and Niki. In scrapbooking land, I have Becky and Molly.

Then I have my six sisters, too, a circle that has been broken at times in my journey but seems to be woven tightly now, and getting stronger.

So many circles. So many friends.

One of the coolest things that has happened to me this year is that I have reconnected with three people from my earlier "circles." Camp counselor Julie and "Rodents" Jules and Carrie. It's been 15-20 years since I've seen these "girls" and I still love them!

It just brightens my day to get a little note from one of them. And it really brightens my day to hear they are reading my blog!

Jules even says I add positively to her mental health. Leave it to me to put the FUN in dysFUNction! That's been my role on every leg of the journey, right girlfriends?! Love ya, BFFs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such nice comments! What are you doing getting all mushy on me now?! But seriously, I'm so glad that you came into my life from the time I met you on the buss for a field trip to the Circus, through lots of happy and not so happy moments in our adult lives and as we age into prunes, it is so nice having someone in my life who knows me like you do-the real me! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Robyn with a Y! What a wonderful post. Isn't it great that you and I haven't changed one bit since our camp days?? ;)

It's been so nice to reconnect with you this year! :)

Anonymous said...

There's nothing tighter than a friend who knows a lot of your "dirt." Sometimes it may be smart to keep those people close for insurance sake if blackmail ever rears its ugly head, but that's not the case with you, RA! You are a one of the cool chicks who simply "gets me," and that's a rare treasure.