Monday, August 6, 2007

Undomestic goddess :: Part 2

Somewhere in my mother's house -- if she could find it -- is a book called "Clutter's Last Stand." She always wanted to get de-junked and de-cluttered, but, as a child of the Great Depression, she just couldn't let go.

As much as I have tried to fight it and absolutely hate that about myself, I have a bit (OK, more than a bit) of that hoarding instinct in me. Mind you, I don't save everything -- just the things I'm sure I'll need some day.

I'm pretty sure my sisters (of course, I am NOT labeling them as hoarders) and I think we are doing far better than Marlys. After all, we do not re-use plastic sandwich baggies and don't cut up used envelopes for scrap paper. We don't save our bread bags to line our boots in the winter either.

So what causes the clutter? Cool Whip containers I may need for leftovers someday (despite the fact I have a ton of Gladware), shoe boxes Carter may need for a school project, every Christmas, birthday and anniversary card anyone in our house receives, ticket stubs and programs, plus just about every paper and project sent home from school.

We have two desks in our office/computer room plus two filing cabinets. There really is a place for everything we need to keep. And everything in those drawers is labeled in folders and alphabetized. But then, there's that other stuff that gets thrown on the desk, which is one big "to be filed" pile.

Last night Jim needed me to find something for an insurance form. I said I didn't know where that is. He assured me that the last time he needed it, I found it right away because it was in some "logical" place. Well, logic escaped me and I couldn't find it.

I was really frustrated after a long search. I vented about how I had filled up a garbage can with "clutter" I threw out last week but apparently I was working in the wrong room. I needed to be de-junking the computer room not the bedroom and bathroom!

Sensing my frustration, Carter (who by the way is a third-generation clutter bug) gently takes my hand, looks me straight in the eye and tells me the following: "Mom, how would you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. You would need to chew and swallow before you could take another bite. So you can't run around doing a million things at once or your mouth is too full. You need to bite one. Get done and do the next one. OK? No more anger."

I guess the 9-year-old is the keeper of the logic in our house. I believe I can get organized one step (or bite) at a time. I am seriously feeling good now about eating this elephant. I just hope it's calorie-free.

5 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Your son, Carter, is a ninety-year-old wise man in the body of nine-year-old who has the knowledge of someone who's lived many years & yet he's so innocent and fresh.

I like his advice and I'm going to use it! It pertains to food, it pertains to projects, it pertains to walking. I love it, one bite at a time! Thanks, Rayna

Anonymous said...

Do you think if I hurry up and have kids (a girl) she could marry Carte someday? Nine ... okay, ten years isn't THAT big of a difference! :) He's a keeper!

Tamara

Ron Hedberg said...

Carter is so wise. Any horizontal surface seems to be a potential "temporary" holding spot. I can't claim any great excuse. I seem to have way too many things on my "to do" list to read or process or work on or something. And if I file it away, I may forget about it. So having it "out" is (sometimes) better.

One positive thing about some of the things we save is that apparently we were taught that memories are important. And I think that is a good thing. Whether it is a card, paper, souvenir, or something else, it often reminds us of a significant event or season of our lives.

I realize much of the memorabilia ends up in boxes or piles out of site. But perhaps "someday" they will be featured in a scrapbook or video or blog or web site. They are props for the stories we could tell.

I, for one, need to tell more stories. What we have done and experienced, both good and bad, is a large part of our lives and to some extent describes who we are.

Yes, I have a few things I "might need some day." But hopefully one of these days I will bring out the memory props and start sharing stories. Maybe you will too.

I had better quit and get my own blog going. Soon...

Ron

Anonymous said...

How did you end up with such a wise and logical kid? not knocking my own. You are lucky to have him. You have your own live-in counselor. I wish I had one. There I go whining about what I want and don't have. Right Rayna? My husband states that every flat surface in our house is covered with something. He states that that is not necessary. Now, if only the surfaces were covered only with pictures, knick-knacks that would be decorative. But, all the other "stuff" does get overwhelming. it's hard to dig into it when you would rather be reading a book or anything else. I could be worse though. I always remind myself of that. BUT, I could also be better. Raylene

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, cousin! This clutter thing must be in our genes! I, too, suffer from C.H.A.O.S.-(can't have anyone over syndrome)!! But, seriously, a great website is flylady.net. There are simple, baby step ways to handle our horizontal hazzards. Take care! L5