Saturday, August 18, 2007

Dawg-gone

As I write this, my friend Tamara is probably traversing Minnesota (the state she hates -- but I forgive her) on her way home to Montana. I shouldn't say "home." She is going to her birthplace to get married and then it's off to Indianapolis, never to return (well it's unlikely) to Iola.

When I hired Tamara last summer, it turned out she became a pretty cool friend to me and one special lady for my Carter. It will be strange not having T-Dawg around. Who will be my tennis double? Who will spike my great sets? Who will be my personal trainer and tell me what to eat before a race? Who will take my son out to dinner?

Since tradition states we go to Shivers for special occasions, we met Tamara there last night for one last time. It was a time to laugh about the past year, lick our Flavor Burst cones and flurries, and discuss possibilities of one day meeting again.

Unfortunately, we won't be driving out to the wedding but Tamara has this idea of driving back to Wisconsin next summer to pick up Carter and take him to a cool cowboy kids camp. "Unless I have a good reason to come back sooner," she says. Carter thinks turning double digits in May is a good reason. We'll see.

Before we said our tearful goodbyes, Carter said he'd miss her and added, "I think everyone you know here will miss you." We will, Tamara.

Happy trails, T-Dawg!

No comments: