Monday, August 20, 2007

Stick to it!

One of the things I enjoy about working in the publishing industry is that occasionally we get to make up words. (I guess we do that as parents, too. "Hey Carter, look at that truck. That's a pretty big bean dumper-outer!")

Other times, we run across words that sound made up, but surprisingly, aren't. They have officially made it past the Webster auditions. Take stick-to-itiveness. I've heard people say it and I really thought it was a phrase made up into word. Actually, that is kind of what it is. But it's in the dictionary so it's gotta be a real word. It even has a definition: perseverance; persistence.

My sister Rayna and I were talking this weekend about how we both lack the "stick-to-itiveness gene." I think you know what I'm talking about. You get all gung-ho about something, ready to tackle it with energy and commitment and perseverance! And you do -- for about a week or two... or sometimes even a month. And then day by day you gradually lose your drive, your energy, your perseverance.

Are we alone? I don't think so. How many of you have kept your New Year's resolutions? Good for you, if you answered, "Me!" But I bet most people are the same boat as me, sitting in the middle of a calm lake with no wind in my sails.

I find that it is most difficult to commit to something and stick to it when I am accountable to no one but myself. That's why programs like Weight Watchers and The Biggest Loser are supposed to work -- it's that network of support concept. I think they do work, too, with the more dedicated types. I am smart enough to know I can't do it alone. I need major support. I need someone to say, "C'mon, let's go for a walk!" instead of "Sure you can have a piece of cheesecake if I can have one, too."

My sister Rayna and my twin Raylene are struggling through this right along with me so we have a plan. We are going to be accountable to each other. Each day we have to send an email telling our "health" progress (we don't like that word diet), stating if we ate healthy that day and if we exercised. The catch, just like with all the other support programs out there, is that we have to be honest.

Yesterday, we were at a party and I enjoyed a mini-cheesecake (hey, I said "mini") and later a piece of birthday cake. Jim says, "Are you going to report to Rayna that you had two desserts?" I quickly responded, "That doesn't start 'til tomorrow! Today is my last day to do this!"

So now the whole world (well, my little world) knows I had two desserts yesterday. I also got up at 5:15 this morning to run on the treadmill and ate very healthy today. So maybe there is hope for me yet. Of course, going forward, only Rayna and Raylene will know ... and Jim ... and you, when I am successful.

And I will be. I'm gonna find me some of that calorie-free stick-to-itiveness and load up on it! I might even be willing to share.

No comments: