Thursday, August 23, 2007

Who wants to be a millionaire?

What would you do with a million dollars? What about 300 million? It's hard not to think about with Powerball fever at a high pitch these days.

Jim and I play a certain set of numbers each week. Some of these are "our" numbers and some came to Jim in a dream once so we don't want to change them and we don't want to miss a drawing ... just in case.

Occasionally we do win $4 here or $7 there. We get miffed when the jackpot gets high like it is now and everyone comes out of the woodwork to play. We're the ones playing it every week. Don't go around pushing up the impossible odds for winning. That's not fair to us dedicated buyers!

My sister Rayna is convinced she is going to win the lottery someday. And I don't mean just wishful thinking. She just has this knowing feeling in her heart that it is going to happen some day. Yesterday was her birthday so I thought, wouldn't it be great to win the Powerball on her birthday so she'd never have to work again?! I bought an extra 10 bucks in quick picks last night while getting milk ... just in case. Sorry, Rayna. I checked the numbers this morning and we didn't win.

When I think about winning a million dollars or 2 or 3, that is one of the things that immediately comes to mind: helping out my loved ones, doing what we can to ease -- or eliminate -- their financial burdens. Naturally, Jim would get his Jeep and I'd get my hot yellow SUV of choice, but that would only be a small part of it. We would love to be able to tell my parents that they can live out their days wherever they want and not have to worry about the heat bill. We'd love to tell my sister she doesn't need to hold down two jobs. It would be a kick to sponsor Jim's nephew's race car, too!

It's fun to dream but it's true when they say money can't buy happiness. It can buy a few material things to delight you, that's for sure, but what really makes you happy? Jim and I were talking about that this morning. We already are happy. We have a good marriage, three wonderful -- and healthy -- boys, loving parents and siblings, our own home and we're gainfully employed. What more could we ask for?!

I'm still going to play those numbers, though ... just in case.

2 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Thanks for thinking of me! No, I didn't win the lottery either. But I know it's only a matter of when... not "IF." You just gotta believe!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, we didn't win either or we would have spent the night in Green Bay and had you as our guests last nite!! We had a long rainy ride Thurs across the whole state & u don't know how much I wanted to swing down & see u al again. I just want u to know, Carter is a great kid & nephew and not spoiled! We spent time doing free things & he was still a happy "up north" vacationer. Just for your info - when Carter first saw the bear he said, R
"Romey, it's gonna kill us!" & we were still in the truck! This is a 2-year old bear, on it's own, & unusually carefree & unafraid of humans. THE NEXT ONE YOU SEE MIGHT BE A REAL BEAR!! GOOD LUCK with the lottery - Rick bought 2 for Sat, he's 1 of those that only buys when the $$$$ are big - Luv ya lots - keep up the good work and "stick-to-it-itus". - Romey