Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Where the wild things are

The position of being the baby of the family comes with its perks. Despite my tales of hardship and woe, my older siblings claim I had a spoiled childhood ... or at least had many privileges they did not.

Carter happens to be the youngest grandchild (he doesn't like it when I say he's the "baby"). This means that while most of his cousins are grown men and women who may or may not have gotten into trouble now and then, Carter can still charm his way into the hearts (and homes) of his aunts and uncles. This includes, but is not limited to, extended stays or what we call vacation.

Last summer, he had such a great time during his "Up North Vacation," getting passed around from sister to sister while acquainting himself with Jack Pine Savages, he decided to do it again. Mission control was once again at my sister Romey's house in rural Grantsburg, Wisconsin.

Somehow, throughout the course of his stay earlier this month, he managed to do something special with my parents and each of my siblings (except Rayna in Texas of course -- but he spent Spring Break there on his "Down South Vacation.") He went to the fair with Grandma and Grandpa, played at the park with Auntie Nell and cousin Anthony, had lunch at the wildlife park with Aunt Rachel (see photo above), went to the fair (again!) and four-wheeling with Auntie Ro and Uncle Ken, stayed at Auntie Lene's and went mini-golfing with her and cousin Ashley, then capped off the week at the Vikings scrimmage with Uncle Ron and cousin David. Somewhere in between all that, while staying at Romey's, he spent quality time with a bear in their yard, went fishing and lazed around in their pool.

With all that excitement, a kid would be hard pressed to pick his favorite highlight of the week. But he really just can't stop talking about that baby black bear that visited Romey and Rick's a time or two that week -- and even took a nap while they were in the pool. Romey took a picture to prove that Carter was "sort of close" to one. He assured me he was safe. "Mom, they're harmless!"

Really? Harmless? I don't think he knows too much about the wild things north of Highway 8. He does know about being spoiled. And I know about a pretty special family who takes the time to make some great memories for my "baby." Thanks, everyone!

2 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

If you ask me..... he's awfully close to that bear! That bear could have caught him in a heart-beat. Carter's a brave man.... maybe a little too brave! Hey Jim, your son has "balls."

Robyn Austin said...

Actually, I think Carter was on the porch and the bear was in the yard so Carter could quickly dash into the house. Romey was concerned I was mad at her for letting Carter get close to the bear and that's why I hadn't gotten the picture up on the blog yet. Truthfully, I'm just lazy and hadn't taken the time to scan it in. And yes, Carter's bravery surprised me, too, considering he is afraid of pint-sized dogs!