Sunday, August 19, 2007

Fore!

Before anyone steps foot on a golf course, they need a quick study of golf etiquette. Etiquette? Yes etiquette, a code of conduct -- if you will -- for what was once known as a "gentleman's game."

Many of the rules are really designed to show respect for the course and other players. Don't talk when they are swinging anything -- from driver to putter. And certainly don't stand in their way or walk across their putting line.

One of the most popular rules everyone knows but (thankfully) we don't use that often is when you hit the ball and it appears it may be about to hit another player, you yell "Fore!" The would-be targets know to look and/or head for cover.

I realized two things this weekend: 1) This rule should apply to any flying object in golf, including clubs. 2) Sometimes there just isn't time to yell anything, let alone a word of warning.

Carter and I went to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls. Since he swings left (like he bats), we sort of faced each other. I noticed he was missing the ball and getting frustrated.

I was trying to explain that on his back swing, he'd stand up a bit so when he swung at the ball, his club was no longer lined up, so he'd miss. I decided to demonstrate the point -- and that was my mistake. Remember I said not too long ago that the course of your life (or your day at least) could change in a split-second?

I walked around Carter and from behind I put my hands on his shoulder. I said, "Now when you swing, pretend that someone is holding your shoulders in place so you can't lift them up." I didn't get the chance to say "Don't swing yet." I didn't get the chance to step back to watch. I didn't get the chance to yell "Fore!"

He swung. And on the follow-through, his driver came round and smacked me in the face. I was so stunned, I didn't scream or anything. I just sucked in a loud breath and, holding the right side of my face, I walked over to a nearby bench and sat down. I was just so stunned, I didn't even cry.

Carter cried later when my face started puffing up. He kept saying he was sorry and I assured him it wasn't his fault. He didn't know not to swing because I didn't get a chance to tell him. These things happen -- that's why they're called accidents.

I expected to wake up with a big goose egg of a bruise but it is just a bit puffy along my right jawline. It still hurts something fierce to touch it, but that will be a good reminder to think before I act.

And definitely a good reminder that I shouldn't be giving golf lessons to begin with. I mean really, what was I thinking?! You're right. I wasn't.

No comments: