Sunday, December 2, 2007

All I want for Christmas is...

Part of the fun of Christmas is making out your wish list for Santa's consideration -- and anyone else who will take a look at it.

I remember when I was a child, I would look through the Sears Christmas Catalog and cut out every doll and toy a little girl could want. I stuffed all those tiny bits of paper in an envelope with a brief letter to Santa that basically said "see enclosed."

Carter isn't much for writing an actual letter to Santa, but he's a pro at this list-making business. Last year, and I kid you not, his list (when unrolled) was taller than me! For those who know I am vertically challenged, it takes 93 items to surpass 5 feet!

It was some list alright. It had everything electronic from iPod, PS2, Nintendo Wii and electric guitar to the simple -- a toy bow & arrow and "socks without holes in them" (that's a direct quote!).

When I asked Carter to give us a list for this year, he grabbed last year's and spent some time crossing out items he either received in the past year or no longer desires. He hands it to me and in bold at the top it says: 2006=93 items; 2007=17!!

So what changed? Well, he finally crossed off the laptop, iDog and iFish, but he still wants the video gaming systems, the guitar, a drum set, a ping-pong table and a pink shirt that says "Tough Guys Wear Pink." (That's a direct quote, too.)

Santa's job isn't so easy. Carter is definitely on the nice list this year, but does that mean Santa's Helpers (Mommy and Daddy) give the nice boy a bunch of nice toys he will be done playing with by Valentine's Day? (Does he even remember what he got last year?) I bet we're not the only parents who find that disappointing.

I'm sure we're not the only parents who also want to give our children more than we ever found in our stockings. It was never much. But you know what? I remember those -- the blue purse, the teddy bear and the paper dolls.

More importantly, I remember our family traditions -- the program for Mom and Dad, playing cards and games, watching Christmas movies on the black-and-white TV, eating homemade peanut brittle and candy.

If I was making a wish list, I'd want those memories and traditions re-created for the next generation. I bet I wouldn't even need Santa's assistance for that -- just some help from those nice guys I live with!

No comments: