Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I believe

Back in 1897, the New York Sun declared to a little girl named Virginia that Santa Claus does indeed exist. These days, we parents are the "authority" on all legendary figures. And you know kids, they like to question authority.

Last night, I heard the dreaded words: "Mom, a lot of kids are saying there is no Santa Claus -- or the tooth fairy -- that it's our parents."

Oh no! This happens in 4th grade? I'm not ready for this. I told him, "Well my mom always told me that as long as I believe in Santa, he will come. I still believe. I still hang my stocking."

I think Carter wanted to believe that. "That's what I thought," he said. "Adults still get presents and they wouldn't go out and buy them for themselves!"

Of course not, honey.

I was just a bit older than Carter when it was confirmed for me that Mom and Dad were "delivering" Santa's gifts for him. Santa had a system in our house. He always wrapped our presents in white tissue paper. That's it. No ribbons, no bows, no tags, no patterned paper. Just the white tissue gift on the step by our stockings (which hung along the open staircase).

One day before Christmas, I had to get something out of my parents' bedroom. Or maybe I was just snooping, I really don't recall. (I'm guessing the latter because I was peeking in their closet.)

That's when I saw them. On the top shelf were boxes wrapped in the infamous white tissue paper. My first reaction was "Aha! I was right." But then I was quite disappointed to realize there wasn't a Santa Claus.

I still believe in the magic of Christmas morning surprises, though, even if I am the one buying those surprises in my house. I love the look on Carter's face when he sees what magically appeared while he was sleeping. I'm not quite ready to give that up. I hope Carter isn't either.

Keep believing, son. Keep believing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it strange how we carry on some traditions. Like making May Day baskets out of long white envelopes or wrapping Santa's presents always, without a doubt, in white tissue paper. Keep on with the traditions and I agree, keep on believing in all that the Season has to offer us. R #8

Ron Hedberg said...

White tissue paper rules! Unlike other paper, it isn't obvious it came from a store. Santa was smart about that.

Even if it isn't necessarily a surprise, after 40+ years it is still fun to see what Santa brings each Christmas morning. I still believe.

Rayna Delaney said...

I must have been a slow learner, as I think I was in fifth grade when I strongly suspected something or someone was amiss. But as the oldest child in the family I had to keep the secret for many years to come! Enjoy the magic and the wonder of surprises! Rayna