Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day

Merry Christmas! Feliz Navidad! Good Yule! Happy Birthday, Jesus!

Christmas got an early start in the Austin household this morning -- as usual. Despite the fact Carter vowed he was going to sleep in, he was whispering in my ear (something about Santa and presents) by 7:30 a.m. Our plan was that we'd open presents when the big boys got up or at 9:30 -- whichever came first. Since Carter was up with the sun, he had two long, grueling hours to wait! I almost felt bad for him. Almost.

He pretty much asked routinely about every 7 minutes if he could open a present. Nope, you'll have to wait. I did try to keep his mind occupied. I had him help me make pancakes and even eat them. And it still wasn't time yet.

When it was time and he got the boys up, they quickly ate breakfast and we were ready to dig into the presents that magically appeared overnight. Since we all knew Carter was getting the one big thing he wanted, we decided to make him wait some more and unwrapped our gifts oldest to youngest.

Daddy was thrilled with his new jacket and Cincinnati Reds clothes. Mommy loves her golf clubs and can't wait to get swinging. Casey and Clay were happy to finally open what they picked out a few weeks ago.

Then it was Carter's turn. I just loved his look of surprise at each present. That is something I am not ready to let go of yet. Whether he believes in Santa or not, I want him to always enjoy the magic. He practically danced when he got his Pink Floyd shirts and you probably all heard him squeal when he opened the big one -- the PS2. He just hugged that box and couldn't stop grinning. "Man, I knew Santa would bring that! I knew I was good!"

Yep, Santa did something right. And as we spent a good part of the day together as a family -- eating, laughing and teaching the boys some card games -- I thought, yep, Daddy and I did something right, too.

Take time today (and all year) to enjoy the real gifts of Christmas... the blessings your loved ones bring to your heart!

No comments: