Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Christmas couch potato

I'm a sucker for holiday movies -- old or new. It's the one time of year I'll get sucked into those made-for-TV movies on the Lifetime and Hallmark channels.

I like the old favorites - Holiday Inn, Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life. I also like the more "modern" selections like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, pretty much any version of The Christmas Carol and, of course, A Christmas Story.

Maybe I just like happy endings. I'm pretty sure, though, it has something to do with the holiday message that seems to shine through (even in the low-budget flicks with no-name actors) -- where I get a lump in my throat, grab a Kleenex and feel all Christmasy inside. They all come back to the real reason for the season -- how a special gift some 2,000 years ago gives us hope. A pretty good thing to have at this time of year.

Isn't it weird how our lives cycle with the calendar? Why are we burnt out, stressed out and cashed out by the time the holiday season comes around? For some reason, we are. Instead of thinking how wonderful Christmas is, we just look to survive it so we can get this year over with!

I'm sure that's why I love the pick-me-up I get from those sappy movies, or listening to Christmas music, or looking at the tree lights with Jim, or drinking eggnog with Carter.

Even now I was just yelling outside to Jim that he looks like he's in a snow globe, out there shoveling in the yardlight with the pretty sparkling flakes falling around him. That's the first time I've seen a snow globe figurine with its middle finger up. Hmmm... I think he could use a cup of hot cocoa and a Lifetime movie!

3 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Robyn,

Thank you for the gift you give to us EVERY day, not just at Christmas, with your writings in this blog. You always make us smile or give us words of wisdom. Thank you again for sharing your talents with us! Rayna & Paul

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could sell those snowglobes. I bet you would be able to sell quite a few. Just kidding. At least the 5" we got was the lighter, fluffier type than last Saturdays heavy 8". Thank you for your daily words of wisdom. I do greatly treasure them. I love those sappy movies too. I think I am the only one drinking the "light" eggnog so far. Thanks. Your Loving Sister-Lene

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am related to you, too. I have a whole library of those Christmas movies but so far have not had one minute to watch any. I bought Christmas Shoes and the sequel this year, but don't believe I have ever watched them before. With Rick watching wrestling at least five nights a week, it's hard to get the VCR or watch those wonderful Lifetime and Hallmark shows. So if Rick believes in the illusion of wrestling i have to say, by the way "I do believe in Santa Claus!" He does exist in the hearts and minds of those who believe. Otherwise you get socks and underwear. Oh my gosh, I need socks & underwear this year! Luv, RN