Thursday, December 13, 2007

Lucy lives on

Although my family is big on Christmas traditions (especially our annual program for Mom and Dad), it wasn't until I was in college that I heard about St. Nick's Day, when I found presents outside my dorm room door on Dec. 6.

As a parent, I thought it would be great to start this "new" tradition with Carter. Then I thought, why not see if there is something that better reflects my 100% Scandinavian heritage? That's when I found out about St. Lucy's Day.

According to tradition, in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland, Lucy (called Lucia) is venerated on Dec. 13 in a ceremony where an elected girl, portraying Lucia, walks, with a crown of candles, ahead of a procession of other women holding a candle each, and they serve sweets or treats to the others in the household. (The candles symbolize the fire that refused to take St. Lucy's life when she was sentenced to be burned.)

In my house, as the only female, I have refused to wear candles on my head and serve the guys breakfast in bed -- but have made cinnamon rolls when it has fallen on a weekend. I also do explain the tradition to Carter and do make sure a little gift appears under the tree from St. Lucy.

This morning, I was at work before Carter got up (Daddy has the day off), but he called me to tell me he was very excited about his gift. (Do you find it strange he has no hesitation believing in Santa Lucia but is questioning the existence of Santa Claus?)

By coincidence, Jim is having lunch at Grant Elementary School with Carter to celebrate St. Lucy (or maybe just a day off). I am celebrating with a McDonald's eggnog shake -- thanks to my friend Katy -- and my Swedish Meatballs SmartOnes meal. M-m-m... could be the start of another tradition.

Happy St. Lucy's Day!

No comments: