Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Simple minds, simple pleasures

If you ever wonder why certain sayings became "catch phrases," so to speak, take a good look around you and you are bound to say, "Ahh, that's what they were talking about!"

For example, I'd say "Simple minds, simple pleasures" likely originated in a breakroom in corporate America where employees were ooohing and ahhhing over a new vending machine.

I'm serious. We got a new soda vending machine you'd think was the second coming. People watch as this little robotic plastic holder moves up the machine to their selection, grabs the bottle, travels down to the bottom of the machine and gently places it in the "outbox" so it won't fizz up -- all the while making these cool robotic sound effects.

It actually draws a crowd of spectators when it's in use. And I am a pathetically guilty but willing participant. This morning some co-workers were raving about the new machine. "Let's go use it!" they said. I said I had nothing to buy but I'd go watch!

Oh yes, simple minds, simple pleasures.

Honestly, though I wouldn't consider myself simple-minded, I do find joy in the little things. Besides the vending machine (which provides such obvious fulfillment!), I get a big smile on my face ...

When I read Christmas letters from family and friends. When I see a house with beautiful lights outside. When I buy the last item that means Christmas shopping is officially done (yeah!). When a favorite carol plays on the radio. When I find a little treat from a co-worker at my desk (mint kisses rule!). When I reconnect with old friends. When I catch Carter or Jim under the mistletoe. When I nibble on the occasional treat while downing yet another glass of eggnog (it's an addiction, I know). When the Vikings pull out another ugly win. When Carter tells me how important it is to celebrate Jesus' birthday.

Yep, it's the little things. But some of these fill a big place in my heart.

May you find simple pleasures of your own to treasure this holiday season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My iphone is jailbroken I downloaded applications using installous, but whenever I sync with iTunes I lose my new appications. I have other applications that were downloaded through installous and they do not get removed. Is there a setting to fix this?
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]