Sunday, March 30, 2008

Blustery Bunny Trail


As challenging as it was to drive my golf ball in the Texas wind last week, I'd take those warm gusts any day over the blustery breezes that accompanied our Northwoods Easter Egg Hunt yesterday.

It was sunny enough. And even warm by Up North standards. But that wind pretty much meant the eggs and treats were hidden quickly (as in let's just chuck handfuls across the yard to
get it done) and found in record time, too.

Carter and cousin Anthony led the pack, out the door before the proverbial starter's gun went off, finding (in trees and under bushes) and gathering far more candy than they (or any of us) need.

Then we headed inside my sister Raylene's house for more food (which we didn't need), warmth (which we did need) and games (always a necessity no matter what the weather).

I've mentioned before that we always have a good time playing games when my family gets together, often discovering new ones we can share with our friends and other families. Sequence, Things, Curses and Apples to Apples have been big hits, along with the card game 3 to 13. On Saturday, one table played Things while another played 3 to 13. But before all that came the Easter version of "Barrel of Monkeys." Not joking.


Do you remember the game from childhood? The create-a-chain-of-chimps challenge that came in a little plastic barrel? Well this year, a big plastic Easter egg contained 16 bunnies with their ears curved like the monkeys arms for easy (or not so easy) linking. My sister RoAnn started it, drawing a crowd to witness her frustration and ultimate triumph. Then, bitten by the "I can beat that" bug, my nieces and nephews got into it and, before you could peel a banana, we had challenges and races and more fun than -- need I say it -- a barrel of monkeys.

I did say at one point, "This is what I have to blog about?!" I was only half joking. It just goes to show that my family likes to have a good time and can make something fun out nothing. Then there's that other thought that it doesn't take much to entertain us!

And who says that's a bad thing? Certainly not the cars driving by while 30 people scrambled around my sister's yard in the high winds, picking up bright plastic eggs and closely examining brown ovals on the ground to determine if someone dropped their chocolate or Annabelle (the dog) left something behind...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture Sis! So glad you asked MY permission! It was fun trying even if the young ones whipped my butt. RoAnn