Monday, March 24, 2008

Reality Bites

There's something incredibly challenging about waking up to an alarm clock after 10 days off. People often say how good it is to get back to work and back into a routine. I am not one of those people.

Today actually feels like my first day on a new job. My desk/cube/work station is now located in a different part of the building. I miss my "window seat" or any glimpse of natural lighting, but my new neighbors (most who report to me) are pretty friendly.

My first mission was to find the nearest coffee machine and bathroom -- in that order. Then I spent most of the morning telling everyone how wonderful my vacation was! I told my friends, especially the Democrats, that there are a few good things about Texas!

I forgot to mention that when we left the Lone Star State on Friday, despite all his ear troubles, Carter said: "See you in 365 days!" I guess he wouldn't mind making a habit of it. Join the club.

When we were tucking him in last night, we thanked him for a great vacation and for behaving so well. He said, "Yep, even though my ear ache was ear-itating!" Oh Grandma Marlys would be so proud of that one! I'll have to tell her that when I call her for her birthday tomorrow (hint to siblings: Don't forget to call Mom on Tuesday!)

There is one other clever thing Carter said this weekend that I had to share (because that's what this blog is for, right?). We saw this commercial advertising single-dose liquid packs of children's Benedryl or something. Remember I told you about how he despises taking medicine of any kind? Nothing like the children on the commercial who took their dose, smiled and continued to play in a park. I said to Carter, "Look at how well those kids take their medicine!" Without skipping a beat, he replies: "Mom, they're getting paid!"

Can't argue with that. Ahhh, things are definitely back to normal!

No comments: