Sunday, April 26, 2015

3 Minutes and Counting

As tradition goes, it takes 3 minutes to boil an egg. In fact, they sold "egg timers" set to exactly 3 minutes. Do they still sell them? I am not the person to ask. I spend time in the kitchen for two reasons: baking and getting my coffee.

Well, and microwave popcorn. And, occasionally, ice cream out of the freezer.

Two years ago, when Carter and I went to the Ozarks on a mission trip, 3 minutes took on a new meaning. Due to the number of showers and the volume of "missionaries," we were allotted 3 minutes for a shower. Yes, it is a challenge to shampoo and soap up and rinse that quickly. But when the water is somewhat chilly, you learn to move fast!

I felt so accomplished.

I put that new skill to good use on days when I am getting home from kickboxing and have to shower and get ready quickly for work. I can usually take it easy on days when I have afternoon or no class.

Or days I oversleep...

I guess the trick of setting an alarm is that you have to turn it ON. Who knew? This morning I turned over and saw it was 7:23 a.m. Church starts at 8 a.m. and it is 15 minutes away so I needed to be ready in 22 minutes. Start the egg timer!

Somehow I managed to shower, dress and curl my hair and get to church at my normal time... which is 8:01. I just never get there early or on time unless I am doing the readings. So I park in the back pew and think I am awake until it comes time for communion and I dropped my wafer into the big communion cup. Whoops. I looked at it floating there and for a minute was thinking of the 3-second rule. Could I grab it? What? No. Other people will be dipping their wafers in there! So I got a second one and barely dipped it and moved on. With a red face.

Definitely was awake by then.

Time was NOT of the essence the rest of the day, thankfully. Got some projects done and even got a run in since it was sunny and springy out. Definitely no timing involved with that. More like take your time and enjoy the sunshine!

All the fresh air should help me sleep. I'll probably go to bed early to give myself 3 extra minutes to set the alarm and turn it ON! 



No comments: