Sunday, April 19, 2015

Getting Off Track

With all the prep for the main event yesterday, it seems like I've been speeding uncontrollably on a freight train bound for PromVille. Now that that train has left the station, what to do, what to do?

I felt way off track today.

I didn't have time to recover since I was scheduled to read at 8 a.m. church. Let's just say I dragged my bleary-eyed, tired butt out of bed and got there somehow. Probably fortunate the podium microphone served as a defibrillator of sorts and shocked me when I touched it to lower it to my height (or lack of height).

Then I was awake!

For awhile. Got home from church before Carter got home from prom. Granted, we knew where he was staying and what he was up to – and figured he didn't get much sleep either. The junior class had to be back at the school at noon, though, for take down / tear down / "un-decorating," as I called it.

Jim got a ride to the Dells with some friends to go see our nephew Colin's first stockcar race of the season. He ended up finishing 9th in the 100-lap season opener. Not a bad way to start.

I had all intentions of helping at the school but thought I'd lay down on the couch "for a few minutes" to rest. I woke up and it was after noon and Carter was gone. He was home by 1:30, about the time I was finally feeling "awake" again. Tear down went fine and I wasn't needed.

Whew. (And, for the record, he and his date had a very nice evening.)

So, with a free afternoon on my hands, I decided to start our next book club selection. My friend Sharon handed the book to me at church since she already had it checked out of the library. Knowing I'd have to get it back by the end of the week, I dove in...


While I did take a break to fold a load of laundry and talk to a friend on the phone, the only other breaks from this intriguing novel were to move from the living room chair to Mr. Deck Chair to the couch. I read the whole thing! I just had things I needed to KNOW! Now I know.

And I'd recommend the book! Written by Paula Hawkins, it is not only a mystery and "thriller," it has some characters struggling with self worth, addiction and anger management. That's all I can say without giving too much away.

Read it. Especially if you just need a day to relax and get your mind OFF track for once.




No comments: