Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Move Over, Daniel-San...

When I pulled into the martial arts joint at 5:39 a.m., there was only one vehicle there. My mind quickly processed a brutal personal training session in my future – and I said, "Oh, crap."

Sure enough. No one else showed up in the last 60 seconds before class so I was in for another "private lesson." Also known as my own sweet "private hell."

Bring it.

I think I vowed after last week's accidental one-on-one class that I would not say "bring it" ever again. But my instructor brought it anyway. Today started out the same as last week with regular cardio kickboxing. Then we moved into some high-intensity interval training with me chasing him around the room, punching and kicking his moving targets. It is way harder than I make it sound. And the "intervals" only allow 15 seconds of rest between.

Proudly, I wasn't feeling like I was going to puke or pass out. That is some improvement from last time. Unfortunately, that was a signal to push me harder.

Learned a new move today. A tough new move.

You can just called me the Karate Kid. Remember when Mr. Miyagi had "Daniel-san" balance on a post on the beach and kick up with one foot, then kick up with the other before the first one lands (and not fall over)? See photo above to see if it jogs your memory.

That was my move today. Quick double kicks. With air time. And chasing my target around the room.

Move over, Daniel-san, I got this.

And while we could have finished the session with "wax on, wax off," we did sit-ups and punches and push-ups and punches (no more girl push-ups for me!).

As my reward, God gave me this for my short drive to home and shower...


I would get on my knees and thank You, God. But I might not get back up...





No comments: