Sunday, February 10, 2019

From My Driveway to Yours :: Snow Removal 101

Groundhog day was just a week ago and Mother Nature – clearly in cahoots with Ol' Man Winter – is doing everything to prove his "early spring" prognostication wrong.

So here we are with yet another day of some 2-5 inches of snow and warnings of up to a foot by Wednesday. Really, Mother Nature? Don't you need a vacation or something?

Since we'll be shoveling and blowing ourselves out again this week, here's a few snow removal tips from my driveway to yours.


Dress warmly and brightly. If you fall on your keester, you want the neighbors to notice if you've fallen and you can't get up. Plus this adds visibility so any neighbors driving by will see you shoveling and give you credit – the one time out of 25 that your husband isn't home to do it.


Secondly, check the snow depth. Is it snowblower worthy or just a shoveling job? If you can make a snow angel and uncover the driveway, a shovel should be sufficient. Just don't lolly-gag on the angel making. See point one about alerting neighbors to your prone figure in the snow.


Third, always choose function over fashion. Yes, today was above zero but it called for some fleece-lined leggings. Good thing I didn't completely pack these Christmas ones away!

More importantly is footwear. OK, in my defense, I did have my boots on first. When I quickly realized our driveway still resembled an ice fishing pond, I went back in for my YakTrax (Valentine gift to hubby and myself). Since they were already attached to my running shoes, I just switched from boots to shoes. Definitely helped the grip. A lot. And thanks to my extra warm men's winter socks, my feet were warm, too. Move over, fashion divas!


Finally, don't forget to take a picture. One, this is good comparison for "after" the next Snowmaggedon. Secondly, it is proof to your hubby that you shoveled – even if the driveway was already covered again by the time he got home.

Hope this helped. I may need tips on operating the snowblower since hubby is going to be out of town Monday-Wednesday! Those "spring" business trips always have the worst timing. For those of us not going, that is.

Be safe out there!

No comments: