Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Carter 101

Since my blog ended on such a somber note yesterday, I thought I'd treat you to a blog full of Carterisms from the past two days that will hopefully lift those corners of your mouth again.

On Sunday while we were watching the Vikings get beat up in Dallas, there was a screen shot of the players with big tackles. The heading was "Purple People Eaters." Carter asked why and I explained that there used to be a song a long, long time ago about the Purple People Eater and these Cowboys are like that monster -- eating up some purple Vikings.

Oh, he says, and stars singing: "It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater. One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater."

I said, "Wow, I didn't know you knew that song. That's an old one." He just rolls his eyes and says, "Mom, I know some things from the '80s!"

Ouch.

Carter's Wal-Mart cart sabbatical has officially come to an end. If you recall, Carter has had a history of diligently returning stray carts to the cart corrals in the parking lot because he considers it his civic duty. A few months ago he claimed that was coming to an end because it was time for other people to learn their responsibility.

Last night, when we got out to the parking lot, he could not resist the call of 7 errant carts near our car. He lets out an exasperated sigh and says, "Man, don't people care about their carts?!" He proceeded to put 4 away and left 3 of them because "Someone's going to have to learn to take care of those."

This morning over breakfast I was looking at the cover of Carter's student planner and noticed he already has littered it with stickers and writings like "Fourth Grade Rules." I thought I better open it up to be sure he had his name somewhere inside in case he loses it.

On the opening page, he has his contact information, followed by his teacher's name, then below that it says, "In case of an emergency contact" then "Phone number" then "Relationship." I think he thought all of this information must apply to his teacher because he left the first two lines blank but under "Relationship," he wrote "Excellent!"

And just so you don't think he's the world's perfect child, when we were set to go out the door, I noticed pen marks on his white T-shirt and told him to change.

"Is the school party tonight?" he asked. I said, "No, why?" He says, "Then why do I need a clean shirt on?"

Oh boy. At least he doesn't question the clean underwear principle!

No comments: