Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Hump Day

I've had some doubts I was going to get through this week with my sanity intact -- let alone over the hump. Thankfully, I could cash in some of my "lovin's" with Carter tonight, because I needed it. Please allow me to vent ... just briefly ...

My friend Jana called it. She said this week is turning into a train wreck for me. My computer was DOA on Monday morning and I was without one for a day, then spent yesterday and today gradually getting all the bits and pieces of information back. Just in time for me to work a half day tomorrow and take Friday off. It better be one helluva productive morning!

On my way home from work, I learned that the deadlines for three extra projects are being pushed up so my teams will not have much time to pull them together! That won't be fun. Then I get home and see a letter from the junior high.

You may wonder why I don't blog much about my teenage stepsons. Well, they're teenagers and they have computers. I may be safe from Carter reading this -- for awhile yet -- but the big boys are quite capable of finding me in the blogosphere if they got wind of this writing hobby of mine. Therefore, I try to watch what I say so I don't cause them undue embarrassment. But when it's due, it's due.

The letter from the school was in regards to the 9th-grader who has been missing school (lots) and assignments already -- and school has only been in session a month. This is the same child who took summer school after failing much of 8th grade and is now re-taking several 8th-grade classes this semester. The boy and his mother promised they'd give it a better effort. But it's obvious he is definitely not starting off on the right foot.

The letter was basically a warning that he better pull his head out of you know where or there'd be consequences. Jim's gone this week for work so I had to absorb this information myself. I didn't do too well. I had a little "rage fit" around the house, yelling at appliances, etc., pretending they were somebody's mother. It didn't do a darn bit of good but it felt good to release it!

Carter came into the house from a bike ride. He asked why I was crying. I told him I was concerned about Clay and how the school year was starting. Though he's young, Carter is well aware of the struggles we've had because Clay lived with us for part of last school year and the one before. I said, "You know how much we love Clay and want him to do well. I'm just upset because it's not going like Daddy and I hoped."

Just a few minutes ago I went to check on Carter reading in his room. I walk in there and he is laying on the floor, wearing these large, funky tear-drop sunglasses while he's reading. He looked like one of those cool TV cops or something. I just burst out laughing. What are you doing? "Mom, I just put them on when I heard you coming." I got down on the floor and kissed him and said, "Thanks. I really needed that laugh." He nodded and said, "I thought so."

Oh, happy Hump Day.

No comments: