Monday, October 15, 2007

Mirror, mirror on the wall ...

Consider for a moment the typical woman. She likes to laugh, likes to talk (sometimes loudly), and is prone to the occasional mood swing and/or hormonal spike. Multiply that times 7 and you have my sisters weekend.

And not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Most of the time we were enjoying each other's company and our special time together. We had our moments, though. And I can thank (unfairly) Mom for those.

It's probably natural that each year I see more signs we are morphing into our mother. The good news is that she is a clever, witty and creative woman with a sense of humor. The bad news is she can't say anything good about herself, she can't throw anything out (including old arguments) and feels responsible for the world's happiness, continually apologizing for things beyond her control.

As much as we try to fight it, we are becoming just like that. Why are we saying we're sorry the fall colors weren't the best or that the restaurant is too cold when clearly these things are out of our control?

Do you know why it irks me so to hear this? Because I am the same way. When I hear my sisters say these things, I know those same words have come out of my mouth before, too. I know I've apologized for food taking too long at a restaurant or for an unanticipated detour on a trip. Now I see why it annoys my husband so much!

Each year, we have a pillow that is passed along to a sister who acts most like our mother. It says: "Mirror, mirror on the wall, I've become my mother after all." My twin had it last year so she gets to be the sole judge and jury in determining who gets it next. She decided she'd wait, though, and mail it to the "winner" so she wouldn't have to face their wrath firsthand.

Frankly, it could be any of us. And frankly, there are worse things. We could have all had PMS this weekend. Then I'd have to refer you back to my blog about cat fights!

3 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Since the pillow was in Renell's car when she unpacked Sunday night, she & I weren't sure who it was for (her or me or left in care in error). I told her I didn't think it could possibly be me! :)

So anyway I think Renell got it because like our mother she was sitting out in that front porch swing having her coffee/coke & a cigarette (unlike Mom) and just gazing at the scenery like Mom likes to do each day. What do the rest of you think? Rayna

Anonymous said...

Next year, you may need more pillows. And you could never annoy me.
jim

Anonymous said...

The pillow was left in error in Renell's car. but, to save a catfight, we will let her keep it if she so wishes. Otherwise, I will have to retrieve it. It sucks that we can't even be honest with our sisters without worrying about the repercussions. that's only supposed to happen at work, etc. But, most of us still suffer from low self confidence and don't dare upset the applecart. Raylene