Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lost in translation

You've heard the old "He said, she said" argument, right? Where the woman may ask, "How do I look?" and the man replies, "Fine." But she hears, "Fine? He just said 'fine' and not 'great' so I must look fat!"

There's also the situations where we hear different lyrics to songs than the next person. I remember a song in the '70s or early '80s that had some line about "if I wanted you to save my life." My mother heard it and said, "If I wanted you to shave my legs?! What kind of music is that?!"

Carter hears Mommy and Daddy say things sometimes that get lost in translation. Last night Jim and Carter took me out to eat to say goodbye before my sister weekend. When we were done eating and walking out, we were grabbing toothpicks and Jim heard the song on the music system and said, "H-mmm. It's Melanie."

I don't know who Melanie is. Some country singer. But that's not what Carter heard. He opened his toothpick and stuck it in his mouth and said, "Dad's right. These are melon-y." (I personally didn't taste the difference!)

Probably his most memorable "lost in translation" moment was when he was much younger. I don't know what he did or said, but we told him he was funny. He said, "Like Larry?" And we're thinking, Larry who? Is that an imaginary friend or what? So we ask him, "Like Larry?" And he replies, "Yeah, funny how Larry is."

How Larry is. How Larry is? Oh, that's how-larry-is. Hilarious!

That is hilarious, isn't it?

Well I'm hitting the road to meet the Wild Women so you won't hear from me for a few days. I can guarantee there will be a few "hilarious" moments ... some I might even be able to tell you about!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record, Melanie was a one-hit pop wonder from the 70s - and it may be a stretch to all Brand New Key a hit. Although, I believe my sister has the 45. jim