Thursday, October 18, 2007

I solemnly swear ...

Here's a good one from the news today: Regular swearing at work can help boost team spirit among staff, allowing them to express better their feelings as well as develop social relationships, according to a study by researchers.

Really!? Hot damn! That's good to know. Though I'm pretty sure this doesn't mean cussing in a name-calling sense ("Nice job, Dumbass."). More like, sharing frustration over a project or deadline ("If we have to do one more gosh-darn revenue-generating project this month, I'm gonna flipping quit.") You know how misery loves company! Plus, the occasional cuss can be a stress reliever.

When we had a company golf outing this summer, some of my co-workers were shocked to hear me exclaim, "Oh fudge me!" when I'd make a bad shot. And I did say "fudge." For me, that was the shocking part -- that I could just say "fudge" and not something else. I was proud of that accomplishment.

I do release the occasional cuss word at work. How can I not? I have an often stressful job PLUS I try my darndest not to swear at home so Carter doesn't think his mama is a trailer-trash potty mouth. Not sure I've succeeded there.

When I was getting mail the other day and saw an envelope from the junior high, I let out an "Oh --" but closed my mouth before I could expel the expletive. Carter says, "What Mom? Just say it. I'm used to it." Well that's just fine and stinkin' dandy.

Perhaps I better warn my co-workers that I may be dropping more f-bombs and such. Apparently I am not doing it enough at work if there is still so much leftover for home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw that same piece and felt validated that my vocabulary choices were actually helping me fellow coworkers! I will continue to use my "swears" because that's just the kind of gal I am-always giving! :)
Julie